endgame
Mark Teixeira and Mariano Rivera celebrate as Shane Victorino makes the last out of Game 6 of the 2009 World Series at Yankee Stadium Nov. 4, 2009. ( Yong Kim / Staff Photographer )

Philadelphia won’t see a repeat World Series parade this year. Last night in the Bronx, the New York Yankees handed the Phillies a 7-3 loss to win the Fall Classic four games to two.

It was the Yankees’ 27th championship and their first in the new $1.5 billion Yankee Stadium, which opened at the beginning of this season. Their last World Series title was in 2000.

Designated hitter Hideki Matsui tied a World Series record with six runs batted in, two of which came on a two-run home run in the second inning off of Phillies starter Pedro Martinez.

The round tripper was Matsui’s third of the Series, and as a result of his offensive outburst, the Japanese-born player was named the Series Most Valuable Player.

Yankees starter Andy Petitte increased his postseason lore, winning his 18th playoff game — the most of any pitcher in history. He also won his sixth series-clinching game, another record.

Petitte is one of four players left from the last Yankees championship team in 2000. Shortstop Derek Jeter, closer Mariano Rivera and catcher Jorge Posada all celebrated together nine years ago across town at the Mets’ Shea Stadium in Queens, N.Y.

The Phillies were two wins away from becoming the first National League team to win back-to-back titles since the 1975-76 Cincinnati Reds.