It might seem that many students care more about Jon and Kate than student government.

And that apathy could be a challenge for the upcoming referendum that would establish direct elections for the Undergraduate Assembly’s top two positions, which requires at least 20 percent of the student body to care enough to vote.

If less than 20 percent votes, or if a majority of those who vote oppose the referendum, the proposed reform will not be enacted.

So far, students have had mixed reactions to proposed changes.

Some students, like Engineering sophomore Andrew Brown and College sophomore Mike Guarino, said they haven’t even heard of it.

Others, like College sophomores Joyce Shin and Allie Tetreault, said they simply don’t care about the reform because they don’t believe it will affect them.

Engineering sophomore Bill Evangelista said he’s heard of the reform, but doesn’t have strong feelings about it.

“If I had to choose I’d probably say direct election, but I don’t really have an opinion,” he said.

Former UA member and Wharton sophomore Triston Francis said he supports the reform efforts, but understands why students may not care.

“If I was never involved in student government, it wouldn’t be as important to my college experience,” he said.

However, some students support the referendum.

College junior Sieraaj Francis said the referendum is a good idea.

“If they aren’t elected by the student body, they can’t fully represent what the student body stands for,” he said.

He also noted that the school-wide debates the reform would require candidates to participate in would keep candidates “on their toes” and create more “transparent” elections.

This transparency, he said, will allow everyone to be more involved in the elections process.

College sophomore Jessica Sutro also expressed enthusiasm about the debates, saying she “would totally go” if the referendum passes.

Other students, however, shared more pessimistic views of the referendum.

Wharton and Engineering junior Stephen Koblin said he’s always felt disconnected with the UA, and doubts that a directly elected president and vice president would change that.

He said he may or may not vote on the referendum, adding that he’s had the chance to vote in three student government elections, but so far has only voted in one.

College junior and the UA’s current vice chair for external affairs Matt Amalfitano admitted that there is always going to be some apathy.

However, he believes garnering votes from more than 20 percent of the student body is very possible since the referendum is about “enfranchising” the students and since many student group leaders are pushing for reform.

“I was out at like four in the morning the other night,” he said. “I was walking outside Greek Lady, and I heard someone talking about UA reform, so if that’s an appropriate barometer of success, I’m pretty excited.”