Penn’s proportion of possible cases of H1N1 influenza rose slightly this week and is currently higher than state and national college averages.

The University reported 107 possible cases of H1N1 for the week of Oct. 25-31, according to an online update posted to the University’s flu prevention web site.

This number is slightly higher than last week, when Penn reported 103 possible cases.

The new cases make Penn’s weekly infection rate 53.2 possible cases per 10,000 students, up from last week’s rate of 51.2 possible cases per 10,000 students.

Around the United States, there were 28.6 possible cases of H1N1 per 10,000 students for the week of Oct. 24-30. In Pennsylvania, that rate is 52 cases per 10,000 students.

Penn’s Student Health Service hopes to have enough H1N1 vaccine to hold clinics for students and members of the Penn community later this month. However, shortages in the vaccine have forced SHS to postpone its first clinic, originally scheduled for tomorrow.

The next two clinics, scheduled for Nov. 13 and 20, are pending delivery of the vaccine. SHS added a third clinic on Dec. 4.

All clinics will be held in the ARCH building, located at 3601 Locust Walk.

SHS Director Evelyn Wiener told The Daily Pennsylvanian earlier this week that she expects the vaccine will be delivered by mid-November, though she stressed that this date is only a prediction.

The University of Pennsylvania Health System is experiencing a similar vaccine shortage and has received less than 7-and-a-half percent of the vaccine it ordered, according to Neil Fishman, UPHS director of healthcare epidemiology, infection prevention and control.

Students with flu-like symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue, are urged to remain at home and call the SHS flu helpline at 215-746-3535 for further information.