“This roller coaster is headed for a crash, and we’re in the front car.”

So said former Vice President Al Gore on America’s role in the climate crisis when he addressed Philadelphia’s World Affairs Council on Friday.

The conference included a full day’s worth of speakers and workshops confronting the critical security issues we face today. Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair and Assistant Secretary for the Department of Health and Human Services Howard Koh also spoke, as well as other noted political figures.

Several Penn students attended the event after hearing about it from Penn’s Social Impact Consulting Group. As part of its work this semester, SICG helped the Council create a new financial structure, according to Wharton sophomore Ayesha Samant, a member of the group.

In his keynote speech, Gore stressed that global warming, the economic recession and other issues of national security are interrelated.

“There is a common thread running through them all,” he said, “and that common thread is our absurd and ridiculous over-dependence on foreign oil.”

Blair agreed, identifying the intense impact that environmental issues have on world-wide economic and social stability.

With the emission of fossil fuels comes environmental concerns such as the melting of glacial regions and rising sea levels which themselves, Gore explained, have serious implications.

“This is a national security issue,” he said, citing a surge of disease, an increase in conflict due to “climate refugees” and the devastation of communities as consequences of environmental abuse.

Moreover, he emphasized that terrorists use part of the money America gives the Middle East in exchange for oil in order to fund their own activities.

Gore also stressed that America’s deficit partly stems from “the ungodly amount of money” we spend on oil.

“Our current account will continue to be unmanageable so long as we continue to shift these hundreds of billions of dollars every year to these foreign countries,” he said.

Dire as the situation may seem, Gore insisted there is still hope.

“With a long-term, determined effort, we can enhance national security, economic security and solve the climate crisis at the same time,” he concluded. “Beginning in Philadelphia, we know that political will is a renewable resource.”

Wharton sophomore Suruchi Srikanth said she was inspired by the event, explaining that Gore’s message gave her a better understanding of the issues facing America today.