Once you've settled into your dorm and navigated your way down Locust Walk, it's time to venture out into the rest of Philadelphia, which offers restaurants, shopping and museums galore. On a student's budget and schedule, public transportation is your best bet for getting around. It's cheap, safe and easy to figure out.

Southeastern Pennsylvanian Transit Authority (better known as SEPTA) is the nation's fifth-largest public transportation system. Bus and trolley rides cost $2 onboard, or you can buy SEPTA tokens in advance for $1.45 a piece; packs are available in the basement of Houston Hall, Penn Bookstore, College Houses and Fresh Grocer.

Use the "Plan My Trip" link at septa.org to help find frequent destinations.

Around University City The LUCY (Loop Through University City) bus runs through the area weekdays from 6:10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The route - which you can find at ucityphila.org/getting_around/lucy - includes 30th Street Station. Flash your PennCard for a free ride.

PennCard-holders can also find a free ride on Penn Bus and Penn Shuttle, which run between 20th and 48th Streets.

To Center City, Chinatown and Old City Students can reach these popular shopping and eating destinations easily by taking the Market-Frankford El that runs along Market Street. The stops near campus are at 40th and 34th Streets.

You can also take the number 21 bus, which runs eastbound to Center City on Chestnut Street and westbound to campus on Walnut Street, for $2 or a SEPTA token.

For Chinatown, take the El to 8th or 12th street. Take it to 5th and 2nd for Old City. And for South Street, take the number 40 bus toward Lombard Street and 2nd Street. There are stops all along Spruce Street, including in front of the Quad.

To South Philly Ride the El to City Hall and take the free interchange to the Broad Street Line going south.

Stadium Complex To go support local Philly teams, take the Broad Street Line (the Orange Line) going south to its last stop, Pattison. This brings you to Wachovia Center, Lincoln Financial Field and Citizens Bank Park.

Philadelphia International Airport When it's time to head home for break, take the R1 train from the University City Station at South Street and Convention Avenue (by the Penn Museum) to Philadelphia International Airport. You can also pick up the R1 at 30th Street Station.

New York And if you want to give another city a try, New York is close by road or rail. You can take the Amtrak train from 30th Street Station - the most expensive option - take the R7 from 30th Street Station to Trenton, where you transfer to the New Jersey Transit train going to NYC. You can also take a cheap bus, like the Chinatown Bus or the Bolt Bus, that leave from Chinatown and 30th Street Station.