Penn’s 14-3 loss to Villanova was a case of missed opportunities.

“When you play these guys you have very little margin for error,” coach Al Bagnoli said. “Every time we made a mistake it came back to haunt us.”

Despite the talent differential and No. 2 Villanova’s extra two games of experience, the rivals played pretty evenly. The Quakers actually managed more offensive yards (239 to 187) and time of possession (35:22 to 24:38).

Yet turnovers, a poor third-down ratio and a blocked field goal spelled defeat for Penn.

Even Andrew Samson’s field goal in the second quarter was a missed chance. The Quakers settled down after Villanova housed the opening kickoff and were in position to gain the momentum. Quarterback Keiffer Garton picked up four first downs as he led Penn over 60 yards in six and a half minutes.

Yet once Penn got in the red-zone, Garton could not punch it in. After nearly throwing an interception in the endzone, the junior kept it on a bootleg to the right and failed to move the chains. Penn was forced to settle for a field goal — an all too familiar memory from 2008.

In its next red zone chance, Penn’s mistakes were fatal. After receiver Matt Tuten caught two passes for 55 yards in the fourth, the Quakers had a first down on the 18-yard line. But Garton was sacked for a loss of three, and an 11-yard screen pass to junior Bradford Blackmon was negated by holding.

It was a shot in the foot. After a seven-yard, Garton-to-Blackmon exchange, the QB tried to play hero again on third and 14 but came up well short. And on the ensuing field goal attempt the defense blocked Samson’s 36-yard try.

“When you get opportunities to score, you’ve gotta score,” Bagnoli said. “That’s where I think we came up short.

The Quakers also failed to capitalize on turnovers, such as when Joe Goniprow chased down Villanova quarterback Chris Whitney and stripped the ball. On the very next play Garton threw into double coverage and was picked off.

Penn struggled on third downs too, going 6-for-16. Garton was sacked three times on the down and made four completions that came up too short to move the chains.

In contrast, Villanova pulled through when it mattered, converting two crucial third-downs in the third. Backup quarterback Antwon Young scrambled for 24 yards on a third and 11, then threw the game-sealing touchdown on a third and goal from Penn’s five-yard line.

“When you do have a chance, you have to capitalize,” Bagnoli said. “They capitalized twice, and that’s the story of the game.”