When it comes to the running back position, the Class of 2013 recruits are only an added bonus to an already talented Penn backfield.

"I think it's our deepest position, certainly on the offensive side of the ball," coach Al Bagnoli said.

After bringing in five more skilled runners, Bagnoli is pleased with the depth of "experience and talent and different kinds of running styles" he has in his backfield.

But rather than trying to pick out the best of the crop, the Quakers head man plans to utilize the skill set of each running back.

"Our offense is going to try to get as many of those backs on the field [for carries] as we possibly can," Bagnoli said.

Among the team's running backs next year will be incoming freshman Patrick Foley, a highly-regarded recruit from Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, Ariz. Bagnoli described Foley as 2013's "speed guy" - a quality that led him to the 2009 state title in the 100, 200, and 400 meters in track.

When Stanford chose to pass on the 2008 all-region running back, Penn pounced on the opportunity to obtain a legitimate Division I athlete.

Though also a track star in high school, the 6'1, 215-pound Lyle Marsh of Bethel Park, Pa., could not be more different from Foley. The "power guy" captained his Bethel Park High School team to the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League title last season, leading an upset over undefeated national championship contender Gateway in the playoffs with a gritty 113 rushing yards.

"In the middle" of Foley and Marsh in terms of style is Brandon Colavita, a three-sport athlete from Sewell, N.J.

Joining the threesome in the Class of 2013 at running back are Jeff Jack - returning from a two-year Mormon mission - and Josh Scott, also a three-sport athlete from Newton, Mass.

"It will be interesting to see how quickly he can shake the rust off," Bagnoli said of Jack, originally recruited in 2007 from Washington.

But the majority of the carries will go to the players who already proved themselves last season.

At the top of the list of returning running backs is junior Michael DiMaggio, the bruising 220-pounder who led the team with 133 attempts, 604 rushing yards, and 4 touchdowns last season.

"[DiMaggio's] been a very dependable, a very physical, a very powerful kid running the ball for us," his coach said.

"He certainly has lots of potential left," Bagnoli added. The coach also thinks the junior will need to work on "being a little bit more complete" in terms catching the ball out of the backfield and blocking.

DiMaggio's physical style is complemented by 170-pound classmate Bradford Blackmon - an elusive, dual-threat "scatback." Sophomore Matt Hamscher provides the balance between the two, "play(ing) terrific at times in a couple games last year" as his coach noted.

With one three-headed monster at running back already having success in the Ivy League, the Quakers now have the luxury of having another waiting in the wings.