8716xy0k
A junior attempts to deflect the condiments and other food items the seniors throw on Hey Day. Despite efforts by both the junior and senior class boards, hazing still occurred, although less than in past years.

This year's Hey Day saw the usual tossing of flour and condiments and shooting of milk-filled super-soakers - but in smaller doses than in past years.

According to College Senior and Class of 2009 President Brett Perlmutter, this slight shift away from hazing - a custom that began in 2002 - is a result of a pledge nearly 1,600 seniors signed promising to go easy on their younger classmates.

In return, seniors participated in the first annual Final Toast on College Green. Perlmutter estimated that nearly 1,700 seniors attended the event, which featured performances by the Mask and Wig Band and music artist Kenn Kweder, a barbecue, complimentary beer, give-away mugs and an appearance by Gutmann, who said she hoped the toast would become a "new tradition." The cost of the event is estimated at just under $30,000.

Meanwhile, juniors made the traditional journey down Locust Walk to College Hall, where University President Amy Gutmann, Perlmutter and Junior Class president Arthur Gardner Smith addressed the crowd.

With so many seniors choosing the party on the Green over the glorified food fight, juniors got off relatively easy.

"On the steps of College Hall, all the talk was that it was the cleanest that the administration had seen in a number of years," Perlmutter said, adding, "It looks like a lot of juniors were throwing flour on themselves."

Smith also attributed much of Hey Day's success to the Final Toast.

"It distracted people from wanting to throw things at the juniors," he said. "We have a relationship where they gave a little, and we can give a little in return."

He explained that because of the large number of seniors who signed the pledge combined with increased outreach to make juniors more confident about the day's festivities, an estimated 90 percent of the junior class participated.

"It was a celebration of achievement," Smith said. "When you immerse yourself in a sea of talented people, you can say to yourself, 'We survived.'"

Perlmutter also explained that the toast was more than just a way to curb the throwing that accompanies with Hey Day.

"We're really hoping that that tradition is maintained, not because of the safety issues but because it's just a great thing to do as a class that celebrates the last days of classes," he said. "It's a first in a series of lasts."

As seniors prepare for graduation and their own walk down Locust Walk to Franklin Field, many were grateful they got this opportunity to spend time with their classmates in the center of campus.

"I knew it was a success because I had a lot of people who told me that it was more fun than they had anticipated," Perlmutter said. "They told me that given the option of throwing ketchup or listening to great music in the sun with their class, they would choose [the latter] any day."

Smith said the junior class will keep up this new tradition next year.

Stopping someone from throwing "the standard mustard, ketchup and spoiled milk" is just a bonus, he said.

Related StoriesReporter's Notebook | Hazing continues to divide Hey Day - NewsPhoto Slideshow | Hey Day - News