673zrlu5
Members of the Penn community flock to Houston Hall to catch a glimpse of the Phillies' 2008 World Series Trophy yesterday.

Phillies baseball fans crammed into Houston Hall yesterday to behold the trophy that, after 28 years, they could finally claim as their own.

The Phillies brought the World Series Trophy to the Houston Hall Bistro yesterday at 3 p.m. The event, hosted by the Student Planning and Events Committee, was a part of the Phillies' World Series Trophy Tour, which has made stops at cities all over the country.

As soon as it was announced that the trophy had arrived, fans formed a snaking line that went out the door of the Bistro and into the other rooms of Houston Hall. With the help of the Phillies ball girls, fans were able to take photographs of themselves next to the trophy.

Jamie Shurley, a Phillies fan and employee of the Houston Hall Creperie, said she still gets chills thinking about the 2008 World Series win. Shurley said she was very excited to see the trophy at Penn and for the opportunity to get her picture taken with it.

During the event, a reel of the highlights of the 2008 World Series played as fans enjoyed free food like soft pretzels, peanuts and popcorn. There was also an opportunity to win prizes such as T-shirts, towels and bobble-heads.

Merchandise and tickets to Phillies home games were available for purchase. Guests could also enter a lottery to win Philadelphia 76ers tickets.

According to Boris Fedorov, a College senior and vice president of SPEC, the Phillies organization contacted Penn earlier this year to see if they wanted to host the trophy.

Fedorov said he was excited the Phillies decided to include Penn in the tour, stating that, "just like the Phillies, Penn is an ambassador to the city of Philadelphia."

College sophomore Eric Dein said he'd been following the World Series Trophy Tour online and was very excited to learn that the trophy was coming to Penn.

"I've been waiting my whole life for a championship," Dein said, "and having [the trophy] come to campus is pretty cool."

Dein went on to say that he hopes the Phillies will be able to make the World Series Trophy Tour an annual event.

Related StoriesPhillies fans celebrate World Series win with victory parade | Audio Slideshow - SportsFULPHILLMENT - Sports