22xw9fl6
An old mansion at 4224 Baltimore Ave. is in the process of being torn down by developer Leonard Thylan. Neighbors in the Spruce Hill area have expressed frustration at the building's demolition.

The recent demolition of an old mansion has left Spruce Hill resistant to the way the neighborhood is being reshaped.

The site at 4224 Baltimore Avenue - built in 1860 - has been demolished by James Campanella over the objections of other residents of the area.

Campanella purchased the building in 2007 and sold it to New York developer Leonard Thylan in January 2008, according to an article in The University City Review. It had been the home of a battered women's shelter since 1980.

The shelter is buying or renting a different building from Campanella, Spruce Hill Zoning Committee chairman Barry Grossbach said.

In late January, residents of the area received notices from the Board of License and Inspection Review, stating that the demolition of the building would occur on or after Jan. 28, said Shannon Roch, who lives across the street from the site.

According to Roch, developers began knocking down the building about three weeks ago.

Grossbach explained that he received a call from David Tricket - who- lives on the property directly east of the building- - telling him about the notice.

Grossbach said he alerted the community the following week at the Spruce Hill board meeting.

He said the board decided to have Grossbach speak to Campanella representative Paul Hallowell.

When he called, he explained to Hallowell that the building had historical significance and that the demolition "seemed premature" since the building could be adaptively reused, but the developer has brought forward no plans for the site.

University City Historical Society representative Belynda Stewart also called Hallowell, Grossbach said.

Yet Hallowell returned neither his nor Stewart's calls, and "demolition continued apace," he added.

Hallowell did not return calls for comment for this article.

Grossbach said he and other community opponents continued trying to cease the action but were trumped in their efforts.

He said he feels the neighborhood is being mistreated by the developers, who will have to return before the Zoning Board to present plans for the site.

"This is not the way you build up good will around the neighborhood . we're not a barren wasteland," he said.

Many neighbors agree, saying they have not been briefed on what will happen to the location and must continue to witness the demolition.

"It starts at eight or nine in the morning - on weekends too - and continues until nine at night sometimes," Roch said.

Still, Roch is happy that the women's shelter has moved.

"Ambulances and fire trucks came at least every two weeks [when the shelter was at the site]," she said.