The Social Planning and Events Committee will 'do the right thing' by bringing filmmaker Spike Lee as its first annual Keynote Speaker for SPEC's Film Society.

The event, titled "The World Through My Lens: A Conversation on Film Making With Spike Lee," features Lee, as well as a moderated discussion session with the audience.

He will speak on March 4 at 7:30 p.m. in Irvine Auditorium.

SPEC Film's choice comes two decades after Lee's groundbreaking film on race-relations in Brooklyn, Do The Right Thing, which was nominated for Best Original Screenplay during the 1989 Academy Awards and named the 96th greatest film of all time by the American Film Institute in 2007.

Since 1983, he has produced over 35 films with his production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks.

More recently, Lee garnered acclaim for his incisive four-hour television documentary, When The Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts, featuring New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit in August 2005, and Miracle at St. Anna, a film adaptation of James McBride's World War II novel.

The committee chose Lee for his artistic appeal to students and his socially conscious take on social issues.

SPEC Film co-director and College junior Allison Seelig described Lee's work as "technically original, politically inspired and often controversial." She listed Inside Man, Malcolm X, and Do the Right Thing as some of his "socially conscious films."

Since this will be SPEC Film's first Keynote Address, the committee stressed its desire to choose a noteworthy speaker.

"We were trying to find someone that would appeal to most people on campus, someone that people know about and has also done really important work," said SPEC Film member and College senior Sara Flanagan.

"All around, he's a great first speaker for SPEC film. ... He embodies all aspects of the film industry - writing, producing [and] even acting in some of his movies," Flanagan said. "He was one of our top choices."

SPEC Film also plans to host a free screening of Miracle at St. Anna the night before the event on March 3 at 7:30 at The Bridge theater.

Tickets to the speaking event are $5 for PennCard holders, available via lottery system at specevents.net between Feb. 19 and 24. Special tickets will be distributed at the screening the night before for students not selected by lottery.