After rumors and speculations about who would grace Franklin Field this April, the headliner for the 2009 Spring Fling Concert has finally been "locked up."

Akon, hip-hop singer-songwriter, record producer and Billboard favorite, will perform April 17 at Franklin Field.

The Social Planning and Events Concerts Committee chose Akon in part due to his "unique and catchy brand of hip-hop," according to the SPEC's announcement today.

SPEC Concerts co-director and College junior Preston Hershorn said Akon was one of the committee's top choices and they are excited about the decision.

"We think he will put on a high-energy, really great Fling Concert," he said. "Since he also appeals to a pretty diverse audience, we can get as many people as possible there."

Senegal-born Akon has released three hit albums since his 2004 debut "Trouble," which featured hit songs such as "Locked Up" and "Trouble Nobody." He also earned a Grammy Award nomination for the single "Smack That" on his album "Konvicted."

In 2006, Akon commanded the Billboard Top 100, claiming the number one and two spots with "I Wanna Love You" and "Smack That," respectively, the first artist to simultaneously do so.

More recently, he topped charts with energetic hits such as "Right Now (na na na)" and "Beautiful" from his December 2008 album "Freedom."

Additionally, Akon works as a renowned record producer for two labels he founded himself and has collaborated with artists such as Gwen Stefani, Young Jeezy and Leona Lewis. He has also been featured on tracks by artists Kardinal Offishall, T.I. and Lady Gaga.

On Jan. 26, Akon's Fling performance was unofficially leaked by 34th Street Magazine's blog Underthebutton.com.

According to the blog, JamBase.com, an online concert site, listed a schedule in which Akon would perform on campus on the Friday of Fling.

At the time the concert was leaked, SPEC was still in negotiation and could not confirm the rumors, Hershorn said. The contract with Akon was signed earlier this week.

However, Akon will not be the "soul survivor" on stage.

Hershorn noted that "another big artist" will join Akon as the opener. Since the artist has not yet been finalized, SPEC does not plan to release any information until after spring break.

"We want someone who will complement Akon's music but won't be the same and won't be a complete departure," Hershorn explained.

To quell additional rumors, SPEC also clarified in the press release that Lady Gaga will not be performing at the concert.

"While she was very high in our consideration set this year, unfortunately her current touring schedule made it impossible," noted SPEC Concerts co-director and College junior Scott Iles.

Tickets will be available in late March, after the second performer and show details are finalized. Ticket prices have not been determined, Hershorn said.

For more information, visit specevents.net.