Although many people look forward to a clean slate at the start of the new year, the Undergraduate Assembly hopes to continue efforts on past projects in the coming semester.

UA Chairman and Wharton and College senior Wilson Tong outlined the goals of the UA for the upcoming semester, explaining that much of last fall's planning and project proposals will ultimately come into fruition this spring.

According to Tong, the main priority this semester continues to be the relationship between the UA and the student body - keeping the services provided, projects taken on and major issues addressed relevant and transparent to students.

The projects currently undertaken by UA members are diverse, ranging from providing shopping carts for high rise residents and summer storage for all college house residents to enhancing high school interest through a proposed "College Day" program.

Tong explained that one of the UA's major goals of the spring semester includes working with Housing and Conference Services to extend the period between the final spring exam and the move-out deadline.

"We want students to feel more comfortable, especially those taking the last final," said Tong.

Another main priority involves adding depth to New Student Orientation. Two proposed components include an optional community service event and other late night activities and programs that would serve as alternatives to the typical NSO party scene.

These plans come on the heels of last semester's UA endorsement of the InterFraternity Council's proposal to repeal Penn's ban on registered fraternity parties during NSO.

Other on-going issues the UA plans to work on include improving dining and food on campus, collaborating with the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education to create an online database of class syllabi and addressing the current high prices of textbooks.

Tong emphasized that the objectives are part of an effort to foster student awareness of and involvement in the UA.

"This is the first time in the four years I have been at Penn where the UA has taken such an active and visible role with the student body," said Tong. "Our goal is to make the UA more relevant to students and to the things that they care about."

The UA kicks off the new year with this goal in mind, partnering with the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly and the Vice Provost for University Life to sponsor a free shuttle for all students traveling to Washington D.C. for the presidential inauguration ceremony on Jan. 20.