trc888is
Sophomore Justen Roth and partner Adam Schwartz (not in photo) beat St John's in a 8-7 decision in their doubles match up. That meant the Quakers won all their doubles matches and got the win, beating St. John's University 5-2 at the Lott Courts. Credit: Alvin Loke

Although it's just 1-0, the men's tennis team will play its last match of the season today against Temple - at least in the mind of coach Nik DeVore.

"We won't even answer questions if guys start talking about future matches," DeVore explained. "It's almost like [any future] match doesn't exist."

In reality, the Quakers have 18 more matches, including today's against the Owls (1-3) at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. Even after acing their first test against Drexel, the Red and Blue are wary of underestimating a seemingly inferior opponent.

"When on paper it looks like you have more talent than another team, it's dangerous because guys can get a little bit cocky and the other team has less to lose," DeVore said.

Temple comes into Levy - the site of its 7-0 sweep at the hands of the Quakers last season-- - having dropped three straight matches. But even with an upcoming February road trip against two quality teams from the Sunshine State- Florida Atlantic and No. 17 Miami - senior captain Jonathan Boym knows his team must maintain its focus.

"We don't really change . our mentality for different opponents," Boym said. "We don't take one practice lightly or another practice too heavily just because of who we're playing."

The Quakers will be facing a Temple team that consists of seven international players on its eight-man roster. Four of the Owls are freshmen, including Poland's Filip Rams, who was recently named the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Performer and Rookie of the Week. Rams' five-match win streak will be on the line, likely against Penn junior Adam Schwartz if each team's lineup remains the same. DeVore does not anticipate much change.

"The lineup is still not completely set," DeVore said. "But it's going to be similar to what we did against Drexel."

As for the status of the shoulder injury that kept him out most of last season, Boym has followed a strict routine of shoulder-strengthening exercises after every practice. He understands that his dedication is vital not only for his own success but for the team's as well.

"I know that in order for me to be healthy and not let my teammates down . I have to work on it every day," Boym said.

Though today may be the only important day on his and DeVore's calendar, Boym is not afraid to look ahead.

"Ideally you want to win every single match leading up to the Ivy League," Boym said. "If that doesn't happen, then that's not the end of the world. I would like for us to peak the day before Princeton and I would like for us to finish our peak the day after we play [Cornell]."

It is hardly a coincidence that these days correspond with the beginning and end of the Ivy League season. After all he has been through, perhaps the seasoned veteran has earned the right to be more ambitious than his second-year coach.