2020bhjy
feature photos of the fall on campus. sansom west and east, college hall and van pelt Credit: Priscilla des Gachons

With Homecoming and Halloween squeezed into one weekend, students most likely appreciated the extra hour of sleep - or party time - that daylight savings time allowed.

As the days get shorter, the leaves turn colors, and as the temperature drops, flip flops and shorts are replaced by Ugg boots and sweatpants.

Although the season officially began on Sept. 22, Penn has only begun to feel the burn of cold weather. For some students, the change is exciting. But for some, it's just a pain.

"I love the fall. It's my favorite season," said College sophomore and Under the Button blogger Michael Gold.

Gold loves walking up Locust walk, appreciating the colors of the leaves changing from green to red and gold as he goes.

Just don't wear Ugg boots if you're walking with him.

Last time one of his friends was wearing the offensive shoes, he ran ahead so he wouldn't be seen with her.

"When they first came out I didn't understand why anyone would wear them," Gold said. "Now that its starting to get colder . they come out again!"

Whether you love Uggs or hate them, autumn is a cold season and most students justify shelling out over $100 to keep their feet warm.

"Uggs are really warm and really nice," said College freshman Adina Weinblatt, who owns four pairs and thinks the shoes' detractors are "stupid." "It's not a fashion statement. They just keep you warm."

Although the weather hasn't gotten that cold yet - according to the National Weather Service the record low for November was eight degrees Fahrenheit in 1875 - students are already adjusting their lifestyles to the cold.

The local Ben & Jerry's has shortened its hours and ice cream purchases have been halved on average, according to employees.

Meanwhile, students from the West Coast must adjust not only to the cold weather but to the concept of seasons as a whole.

College and Wharton sophomore Judah Siegal, a Los Angeles native, can appreciate the aesthetics of fall at Penn, just not the reality of wearing a jacket.

"I understood what I was getting into by leaving the West Coast and going East," said Siegal, "but I don't think I really understood what it meant that weather could dictate your life."

Students looking to keep themselves and their apartments warm have other options than cranking up the heat, according to Wharton junior and Penn Environmental Group codirector Laura Boudreau.

Closing storm windows and vents provides insulation and prevents heat from escaping. Students can also forgo space heaters and high heat for extra blankets, which not only saves energy but also money on next month's heating bill.

Or, just put on a sweatshirt and a scarf.

"I live for sweaters, so now that I can wear them, I'm very excited," Weinblatt said.

She's already stocking up on scarves in anticipation for even colder weather.

"I really can't wait for it to snow!"