Domestic terrorism isn't free speech

To the Editor:

The petition that Penn faculty and students signed in support of William Ayers is totally off the mark.

The petition suggests Ayers is being criticized for "voic[ing] perspectives and advanc[ing] questions that challenge orthodoxy and political power" and that this criticism "casts a chill over free speech . and the spirit of democracy."

Give me a break.

Ayers is being maligned, and rightly so, because he bombed federal buildings.

How students and faculty could equate free speech and the spirit of democracy with setting off explosives at the NYC Police Headquarters, the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon is beyond me.

Eric Ojerholm The author is a first year student in the School of Medicine Guarding your right to vote

To the Editor:

I am very glad David Kanter wrote about the problems with the current voter-registration system.

A vital omission from the op-ed, however, is if someone claims to have registered and is not on the voter rolls come election day, they still have a right to vote.

This is in accordance with the 2002 Help America Vote Act, and it's a fact that a lot of students don't know.

Congress recognized that the voter registration process is imperfect, which is why they made sure that anyone who claims to have properly registered has the right to vote provisionally.

Anyone who is worried that his or her form did not go through should call the Philadelphia Board of Elections at 215-686-1592. If they say you are not on the rolls, immediately e-mail vote@penndems.org. Lauren Burdette The author is a College junior and president of the Penn Democrats Health care plan doesn't add up

To the Editor:

In last Thursday's piece by the College Republicans, Mr. Byer mentions that Sen. McCain plans on giving every American family a "direct $5,000 credit . that ensures Americans will be able to select the health care plan they prefer . "

What Mr. Byer does not clarify is that this "credit" goes directly to the insurance companies.

He also mentions that "Americans will also benefit from the flexibility of a tax-advantaged Health Savings Account." But most employers already offer this. John McCain can't take credit for something that has been in place for quite some time now.

In the same column he argues that rising costs are an issue that needs to be addressed. How does a $5,000 credit benefit senior citizens whose health-care costs go way beyond that threshold?

Universal health care is the obvious solution.

Mark West The author is a University staff member with Penn's Travel Services and Procurement Cards office