o153c23x
David Wain, director of Wet Hot American Summer, discussed his new movie Role Models yesterday at Hillel.

Summer camps, perseverance and Sarah Palin were all subjects of comedian and director David Wain's presentation yesterday evening.

Hillel's Social and Cultural Committee invited Wain to discuss his cult classic, Wet Hot American Summer, and his newest film, Role Models.

As an intimate gathering of true fans, students were given the opportunity to talk about his films, ask for industry advice and simply meet their own "role model."

"It's really nice to see someone who's been so successful in the Jewish community," said College sophomore Melissa Rutman. "His movies are just about celebrating things we love about growing up in Jewish summer camps and schools."

Several non-Penn students were also present, eager to meet the man behind the scenes. Emil Cohen, a Drexel junior, said, "Wet Hot American Summer has definitely been one of my favorites since it came out. I called off work and everything just to be here."

Wain started by giving a brief synopsis of his life. A native of Shaker Heights, Ohio, he graduated from New York University as a film and television major and worked as an intern at MTV throughout his college career. Afterwards, he created the MTV 90's sketch comedy The State and Comedy Central's show Stella.

There was a unanimous interest in the inspiration behind his seemingly random and bizarre sense of humor.

"Really, it's what's funny to me. It's always been that," he answered with a half-shrug and smile. "Wet Hot American Summer was a wish fulfillment for me, comedy-wise."

Despite stating Steve Martin and Woody Allen as his biggest influences, staying true to himself has undoubtedly been a big factor in his writing. He said if an idea "seems like it would be funny," he should just produce it.

Role Models, which will be released Nov. 7, is more of a "normal" comedy movie, he said, but nevertheless, he is "very happy with it." It stars Paul Rudd and Seann William Scott as two trouble-makers sentenced to mentoring two young boys. An advanced screening of Role Models followed Wain's talk for all of the attendees.

Upcoming projects for the director include a prequel to Wet Hot American Summer, a television version of "Wainy Days," his currently-online sketch show and two new movies.

He concluded by offering advice to aspiring writers, comedians and directors.

"First, move to New York or L.A. Second, there is no substitute for busting your butt. Work hard and persevere and be persistent, and luck will come to you."