Mornings begin for Engineering student Rob Yaffe at 8:15, when he stumbles out of his double suite in Riepe, devours a bowl of Trix and wanders, bleary-eyed, to his 9 a.m. class.

Like most freshmen living in the Quadrangle, Yaffe appreciates his air conditioning, beautiful view and the food carts next door. But there's one big difference between him and his neighbors: Yaffe is a sophomore.

He's just one of the small but vocal number of upperclassmen who live in College Houses that predominantly house freshmen.

Known as "the five," they include Hill, Kings Court/English House and the three College Houses that make up the Quad.

Yaffe, who lived in Hill his freshman year, was initially disappointed he had not received housing in the high-rise buildings like many of his friends. He got used to the idea fairly quickly, though, once he realized he had a chance to enjoy those amenities he had missed out on the year before.

"I figured if I couldn't be in the high rises, the Quad was my next choice."

Others find themselves living with freshman neighbors after choosing to remain in the same College House after their first year.

For College sophomore Mark Pan, the choice to stay in Fisher-Hassenfeld two years in a row was both pragmatic- - he's involved in the Healthy Living/Substance Free residential program, which is only available in the Quad - and obvious.

"The Quad is really awesome," Pan said, adding that he got priority in room selection, his room is bigger than his RA's, and he's right near his favorite food truck, Magic Carpet.

"People like the location, and room type is very important," said Sue Smith, associate director of Communications for College Houses and Academic Services.

"We make it easy for students to return because we want them to return," added Eleanor Rupsis, associate director of Housing Administration,

College senior Dominique Poncelet, who lived in Hill freshman and sophomore year, returned not only because of the convenience, but also because of her job as a house manager and her close relationship with then-House Dean Amy Pollock. "Hill is all about community," Poncelet said, and at a large school that is really important.

College sophomore Carly Levitz stayed at Kings Court/English House for many of the same reasons as Pan and Poncelet. She is currently the manager of the residential program Perspectives in the Humanities and is contemplating becoming "a lifer" - living there all four years of school.

"If you stay, it just enhances the community."

Of course not all upperclassmen are as happy "reliving freshman year," as College sophomore Jack Stanley put it.

"The living accommodations are nice, but it's definitely not as enjoyable as living with other upperclassmen," said Stanley, who currently lives in Ware, his fifth choice.

Others cited the lack of a kitchenette and being far away from friends as the only major drawbacks to living in freshman housing.

Students who are unhappy in their current housing can apply to switch rooms this semester in early October, said Leslie Delauter, director of the Office of College Houses and Academic Services. However, Delauter also stressed that generally the population of students looking to switch rooms is pretty small.

"I don't think I'm missing out because the high rises are so anti-social," said Pan, "and if you like the Quad, stay there."