The Lymphoma Research Foundation will host its second-annual Lymphomathon in Philadelphia at Fairmount Park tomorrow from 10 a.m. until noon.

According to LRF's Web site, the Lymphomathon is a "non-competitive 5K walk where survivors, family, friends, community and corporate teams walk in honor and in memory of those whose lives have been touched by lymphoma."

Lymphoma is a common form of blood cancer that currently plagues over half-a-million people in the United States.

According to Vice President of the Philadelphia/Delaware chapter of LRF Meme Talerico, the goals of the event are to raise awareness about lymphoma and to raise money that will go directly toward research and patient services.

She added that LRF dedicates a lot of time and hard work to publicizing the event.

"We have a very large database, and we sent out lots of e-mail notifications. We've got people out plastering posters . and we're advertising it through college offices, hospitals and public-service announcements," Talerico said.

LRF had raised $38,949 as of yesterday evening with about 300 walkers registered for the event. The most money one team has raised so far is $8,355.

"Last year, we raised $50,000, so we're certainly hoping to reach that goal again this year," Talerico said.

There are many opportunities for college students to volunteer at the event. "Even if they don't want to walk, we always need volunteers on walk day. They can either go to the Web site or just show up at the art museum on Saturday, and we will find something for them to do," said Talerico.

She also noted that "there are local chapters like the Philadelphia group all across the United States, and there are at least 15 other Lymphomathons held throughout the year in various major cities."

Prospective participants can register on site for these walks or online on the LRF Web site.

Despite LRF's effort to publicize the Lymphomathon throughout Philadelphia, many students on campus still have not heard about the event.

"I have not heard of the Lymphomathon . but it sounds like something I would be interested in because it's raising money for a good cause," said College freshman Kevin Karande.