There's no denying that Penn students are a diverse bunch.

About 13 percent of current freshmen are international students. Additionally, many students who are U.S. residents immigrated here from another country.

Bridges For Integration is a new organization devoted to helping immigrant students assimilate into American culture. The club, which consists of a 14-person founding committee, began this year and will recruit general members next semester.

The club's stated mission is to fully integrate 1.5-generation immigrants - those who came to the United States in late childhood or adolescence - into American culture.

These immigrants were exposed to two cultures while growing up - sometimes leading to difficulties making friends with Americans and segregation from their native population.

"The most difficult problem is the language," said East Asian Languages and Culture professor Maiheng Dietrich. Children often avoid communicating with others who "cannot talk back," she said, adding that cultural differences often make friendships difficult for young immigrants.

BFI is the brainchild of College freshman Jin Guan, the group's vice president, who came to the United States from China when he was 14.

Gaun said the idea for the club, which will initially focus on Chinese immigrants, came from his own experiences.

"They don't feel comfortable enough to step out of their comfort zones because they fear that others here would feel that they're weird," Guan said. "We want these people to have the same college experience as all other Penn students."

While the organization has yet to attract members outside of the founding committee, it has begun fundraising to obtain money and attract attention to its cause.

The club's president, Nursing sophomore Angelina Zhang, said BFI will function mainly as a "club for the exchange of immigrant and American culture."

Thus far, BFI has managed a Valentine fortune cookie fundraiser, as well as an event at Harnwell College House that featured games and activities meant to draw comparisons between American and Chinese culture.

"I want to meet people from other cultures and help people understand my culture," said College sophomore Paul Garr, who is an American of Irish descent and the club's secretary.

Members say attendance of American students at their events is critical to BFI's success.

"Who can we learn American culture from better than American students?" asked Guan, adding that the events allow students to learn about foreign cultures as well.

Future events will include a mentoring program between immigrant and American students, community service projects in local immigrant communities and a multi-cultural show.