Last Friday at the second and final meeting of the Board of Trustees, Penn President Amy Gutmann announced that the "Making History" campaign is well on its way and will help fund the University's future loan-free financial aid initiative.

The University has successfully engaged 1,800 alumni and has raised $1.8 billion out of the $3.5 billion goal already.

Notes from the meeting include:

Eric Furda will officially become the Director of Admissions beginning July 1, Gutmann said. "He really has a sense of Penn's strength," she said.

She also announced Stephen Golding as the University's new Vice President of Finance and Treasurer.

Gutmann said Penn Connects - the University's campus development plan - has appointed architects for six major projects. She added that some of these projects have sufficient funding to get them started. However, others do not and await support from alumni.

Provost Ron Daniels provided the academic report, giving an update on the happenings at the Wharton school. He said the activities conducted by the Wharton Dean Thomas Robertson - which include renewing the alliance with INSEAD and organizing the upcoming Wharton alumni forum in Peru, Vietnam and South Africa - have made internationalization the key focus for the school.

School of Medicine Dean Arthur Rubinstein reported that the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, which reviews medical schools to ensure that quality education is being provided, gave the school a score of 124.5 out of 125. He said the reviewers thought the school's curriculum was innovative and described the students as "impressive, vibrant and forward-looking."