The School of Arts and Sciences received a $15 million donation this month from alumnus Christopher Browne to establish five endowed professorships across the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.

"I'm completely delighted," SAS Dean Rebecca Bushnell said. "Chris Browne has been a steadfast supporter of SAS for a very long time now and we're thrilled that he's decided to make this gift."

"These professorships send a very strong message about the excellence of scholarship and teaching in SAS," added Bushnell. "It recognizes that we have some of the very best scholars and teachers."

Browne, a 1969 College alumnus, is chairman of the SAS Board of Overseers, a University trustee and a co-chair of the University's Making History fundraising campaign.

This is his second gift to SAS supporting endowed professorships. In 2000, he gave $10 million to endow five chairs known as the Browne Distinguished Professorships.

"My long involvement with the University has been motivated by my desire to see that the University that I leave behind is even better than the one that helped to shape me as an undergraduate," Browne said. "I am convinced that supporting SAS is critical to the future of the University."

"His first gift had a tremendous impact on our ability to recruit and retain amazing faculty, and we hope to continue that with this most recent gift," said Jean-Marie Kneely, SAS vice dean for External Affairs.

"These endowed professorships are a critical part of SAS and of the University's Making History Campaign," added Kneely. "By giving us this gift, Browne shows what a wonderful friend and supporter of the University he is."

"This gift will allow us to establish more professorships to recruit and retain professors who are not only great scholars but also great teachers," Bushnell said.