A West Philadelphia man was killed and two people, including one police officer, were wounded early this morning in a gunfight outside of Koko Bongo nightclub, located just off the edge of campus.

Lamar Bembry, a 21-year-old resident of the 5400 block of Race Street, was shot and killed by police during the gun battle. He was struck by a bullet in the chest after brandishing a gun and firing it into the crowd leaving the club at 38th and Chestnut streets, said Philadelphia Police Homicide Sgt. Charles Coan.

Officer Sandra Van Hinkel was hit in the right leg by a bullet. She was treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and released shortly thereafter.

A 34-year-old man who was driving northbound on 38th Street was struck by stray bullets in the face and shoulder. Police declined to release his name because he is a potential witness. He is in stable condition at HUP.

The incident began as police were trying to disperse the crowd of 200 to 300 people leaving the club at about 2:00 a.m.

"There was really no altercation," Coan said. "Basically the police were moving the crowd, trying to get the traffic flowing, when one male produced a gun and started firing the direction of the police."

Police were already patrolling outside of the nightclub, located on 38th and Chestnut streets, because there had been previous incidents at that location. They returned fire when the shooting began.

Coan said that police believe there were other shooters, though there are conflicting reports of how many. Multiple people were seen being detained by police at the scene, but Coan said that no arrests have been made and there are no suspects besides Bembry, who had a prior record.