Although Penn has had its fair share of hazing incidents in past years, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Directory Scott Reikofski said he's confident that his office has responded to each one appropriately, always conducting "a full investigation" and working with alumni and national chapter representatives when necessary.

Most recently, OFSA closed the campus chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, the country's first college fraternity established by African Americans.

A new member of the fraternity, then-College junior E. Martyn Griffen, told officials he had been taken off campus and subjected to a physical assault.

Griffen alleged that two other members had lacerated him with a rubber band and had severely beaten his legs during pledging.

An investigation ensued, and OFSA determined that hazing had indeed taken place.

"The chapter was closed from the University perspective, but we also worked with [the national fraternity] to make sure that it was closed from their perspective as well," Reikofski said.

At the time, Penn spokeswoman Phyllis Holtzman said the chapter would be suspended until at least July 2008.

The two student offenders were convicted of harassment and simple assault and were sentenced to nine months of probation.

They were acquitted on charges of conspiracy and violation of an anti-hazing statute.

Before that incident, Penn's chapter of Zeta Beta Tau was kicked off campus after four students were hospitalized for alcohol overdoses about four years ago.

Reikofski said he wasn't sure hazing was involved, but that an investigation determined that there was a violation of University policy, and "since they had numerous violations before that, it was time to close them."

When the chapter was closed, a group of members formed an underground society known now as OZ, an action that Reikofski said continues to concern him.

"What they're doing is underwriting the legitimate fraternities, which is not fair," he said. "Every indication that we have is that they're continuing the dangerous practices that raised concern about them to begin with."

ZBT, meanwhile, recolonized last year, and the legitimate fraternity members moved back into their former house this year, Reikofski said.

In fall 2004, a student fell two stories to the basement floor of Psi Upsilon after reportedly consuming 21 shots of alcohol. He spent more than a month at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

OFSA investigated and determined that although the fraternity had violated the University's alcohol policy, the violations did not cause the student's injury.