w4372u80
W. Tennis vs Yale, W 5-2 - Levy Pavilion - April 6, 2007 - Ekaterina Kosminskaya Credit: Ryan Townsend

Two loss columns read zero at the end of the weekend.

The Penn women's tennis team extend its Ivy win streak to 5-0, while the Quakers' Lauren Sadaka kept her own undefeated run in the spring alive.

Harvard and Dartmouth were no match for the Quakers, both falling by 7-0 margins.

Sadaka emerged victorious at Harvard by a 6-2, 6-1 tally and triumphing at Dartmouth by a 6-3, 7-5 score.

"We're all really happy [with the way we've been playing]," Sadaka said. "We're really excited.

Penn coach Michael Dowd was also thrilled with his team's performance.

"We played really well," he said. "We came out and we played some very good doubles and we got off on the right foot in both the matches and I think that carried over to singles . I'm very pleased."

Both matches featured strong performances from several players.

Playing in the top spot for the Quakers, freshman phenom Ekaterina Kosminskaya cruised to a 7-5, 6-3 win at Harvard and followed it up with a 6-1, 6-3 thumping at Dartmouth.

Kosminskaya's teammate, junior captain Julia Koulbitskaya, had nothing but praise for the Moscow native.

"I think Ekaterina is always a solid spot for us," she said. "She's very reliable and she plays at a very high level. She's very consistent all the time."

With the victories, Penn established itself as the clear front-runner for the Ivy League championship, sitting atop the Ancient Eight standings.

Koulbitskaya credits her team's approach toward every game as the main reason for its success this season.

"We focus and we work hard during the week," she said. "We come out with confidence for the weekend and we know that we're solid."

The Quakers are looking to build off the momentum gained from their victories this weekend when they face Cornell and Columbia later this week.

Dowd knows that an Ivy League title hangs in the balance when his players take the court this weekend. He hopes that his team's strong chemistry and unity will give them an edge and enable them to accomplish what they set out to do at the beginning of the season.

"I think the team really gets along well," he said. "[Our goals were] to be Ivy champs and to make the NCAA tournament. Both those goals are in sight now . We just have one more weekend and we can do it."