mp2e17q8
Carrie Biemer and the women's basketball team are looking to repeat last month's sweep of Yale and Brown.

There is no Ivy League championship glistening at the end of the tunnel, but Penn women's basketball coach Pat Knapp and his team couldn't care less.

When the squad heads north this weekend, it is hungrily seeking to repeat its Yale-Brown sweep of last month.

And unlike last year, the Quakers (10-14, 5-6 Ivy) have reason to be confident.

"I think we're going to win," Knapp said, confident with a team that has already doubled last season's win total. "There are no excuses."

Its first opponents, the Elis, (11-15, 4-8), have faltered through their conference schedule. But the Quakers will need a strong defensive showing to win - probably one as strong as in last weekend's shocking upset of Dartmouth.

"We have to continue the defensive energy from the weekend," Knapp said. "Our guards have to play hard defensively - other players are going to be tested. When we go into the Yale game, guarding Erica Davis is key."

Davis lit up the Quakers for 21 points at the Palestra last month, but the hosts hung on to win 70-57. If they are going to give Davis that much again and win, however, they will have to cut down on turnovers.

"The last few games, we've had a number of turnovers and still played well or won," Knapp said. "It's funny how strong defensive rebounding can overcome that, but I want to cut down our turnovers."

On Saturday evening, Penn travels to Providence, R.I., for Brown's Senior Night. The Quakers only beat the Bears, the Ivy League cellar dwellers, by single digits last month (66-57), so the seniors will harbor hope of a joyous send-off.

"Brown is a team that plays eight to 10 people who still at times are finding what their strength is," Knapp said. "But it's Senior Night, and they are going to play hard."

Both opponents have a strong motivation and emotional edge being at home, a point Knapp has repeatedly emphasized to his players this week.

"We know we are capable of beating both teams," the coach said. "We have to be on our game. If you've gotten this far down the road and you haven't realized that on any given night the league is even and you don't look for the psychological edge, then you haven't gotten better. I think my team understands this."

And after winning their final home contest, the Penn seniors now aim to spoil their fellow counterparts' collegiate career finales.

"Our four seniors are going to play every minute they can play as long as they play well," Knapp said.

The Quakers will close out their season next Tuesday evening at Princeton.