y939xuhb
Quakers coach Pat Knapp talks to Carrie Biemer as she waits on the sideline to enter the game against Harvard.

A fired-up women's basketball team entered Jadwin Gymnasium last Tuesday evening just off its second Ivy-weekend sweep this year. It left as devastated 61-51 losers to rival Princeton in the final game of the season.

"We don't like losing to Princeton," a sullen coach Pat Knapp said. "It puts a damper on things, except when you really look at the improvement we've made from last year to this year and how every individual improved their game somehow."

After posting an abysmal five wins (three in conference) last season, Knapp guided his team to a 12-15 record and a .500 showing in Ivy play.

With a ticket to the NCAA Tournament not in the picture, last Tuesday's contest was the last for Penn's four seniors: Ashley Gray, Lauren Pears, second-team All-Ivy forward Monica Naltner and first-team All-Ivy point guard Joey Rhoads. The quartet combined for 34 points in their finale, including double-digit performances from Naltner (14) and Gray (11).

"I enjoyed being with these players every day," the third-year coach said. "My hat goes off to the four seniors for their effort and dedication to Penn basketball. I appreciate all the hard work they gave me for three years."

Unfortunately for the Quakers' veteran standouts, they could not go out with a 'W.'

"It was not the way we wanted to go out," Rhoads said, whose seven points gave her 1,210 on her career. "We were not really on tonight."

After shooting near or at 50 percent in their previous two contests, the Quakers shot only 32.1 percent from the field against the Tigers.

Knapp echoed his star player's sentiment: "Our players had an off night. We had looks and got inside, but we didn't score . there was a lack of execution on our part, especially in the first half. The second half we had the ball inside and no one made any shots. Princeton capitalized off of that."

The Quakers began that weekend by holding off the Elis 57-55 in New Haven, Conn.

It was a game of two halves, with Penn dominating before halftime (38-22) before being held to just 19 points in the second half. Yale's Chinenye Okafor came off the bench to score 17 points, but her missed layup in the game's final seconds allowed Penn to eke out a win in regulation.

The following evening, the Red and Blue routed Brown on the Bears' senior night, 72-56. Sophomores Maggie Burgess and Carrie Biemer continued their late-season scoring production, combining for 13 points. Naltner and Rhoads tallied 20 points each.

Penn's win dropped last year's Ivy tri-champion to 5-23 and 3-11 Ivy, placing them last in the conference.

With the season over, Knapp is ready to loosen up his tie and give himself and his players a breather before thinking about the year to come.

"Basketball is a long year. A lot of heart and soul goes into it. They deserve their break."