Penn's December 2003 basketball game against St. John's may be remembered for a thrilling double overtime and former player Friedrich Ebede being punched in the face. However, it should be marked as the beginning of the Class of 2007 era, when Mark Zoller started his first career game.

Since then he has made 92 more starts. Zoller, Ibrahim Jaaber and Stephen Danley have become an astounding trio of seniors, leading their team to three consecutive Ivy titles. That feat has been accomplished by eight other Penn classes and just four other Ivy senior classes.

When Zoller, Danley and Jaaber first walked onto the Palestra hardwood, they were, respectively, a mop-haired worker, a gangly tall guy, and a lanky but quick guard. They seemed raw, but in fleeting moments their greatness bubbled under the surface. During their freshman campaign, Jaaber managed five steals against Harvard, Danley collected seven boards against Dartmouth and Zoller had a double-double against Brown.

Today they are three of the most respected players in a long basketball history. While the Class of 2007 should be remembered for their contributions on the court, they should be appreciated for accomplishments of historic proportions. Beyond its three Ivy titles, the trio can take responsibility for 82 wins, including 51 conference victories and a 68.7-percent winning percentage.

These seniors have had the opportunity to play with tremendous talents, including Tim Begley and Jeff Schiffner. Yet these seniors have surpassed their mentors both on the court and in the record books.

Zoller and Jaaber join an elite club, becoming just the sixth pair to each score 1,000 points in a career. They join hallowed partners such as Steve Bilsky and Dave Wohl as well as Koko Archibong and Ugonna Onyekwe. Yet Ibby and Mark are the only Quakers pair to be members of the top 10 in career scoring.

Jaaber has 1,502 points, making him seventh overall. If he scores 17 points against Texas A&M; he will pass Jerome Allen for sixth. Zoller has 1,410 points, placing him 10th all time. (Danley's 856 career points are not exactly chopped liver either.)

Perhaps the accomplishment that is most heralded is Jaaber's ability to steal. He has 303 career steals, trouncing the previous Penn record of 166. This is a record, like Ernie Beck's 1,557 rebounds, that may stand forever.

In the end all the statistics are wonderful markers and tremendous accomplishments, but few will cite their scoring records. They will be remembered as great players. Quakers fans will compare other legends to Zoller's heart and his ability to bang inside. Danley will be remembered for his solid defense and quiet contributions. Jaaber will be remembered as a tremendous athlete with lightning hands and a will to win.

Two years ago, when Begley walked off the court in Cleveland after a valiant effort against Boston College, he waved to the crowd and bowed his head. When this team does eventually walk off the court for the final time, it is only the fans who should bow their heads and sigh.

Matt Meltzer is a senior Political Science major from Glen Rock, N.J. His e-mail

address is meltzerm@sas.upenn.edu.