When Jodie Foster was selected as last year's Commencement speaker, University officials had little to worry about her views on the Middle East, the United States and politics in general.

But with a long career of divisive politics, James Baker is a different story.

Penn Israel Coalition officials have called the decision to bring in Baker "appalling" for his clashes with national pro-Israel groups and alleged anti-Semitic remarks.

But beyond the Israel and Jewish sectors, the former U.S. Cabinet member and co-chairman of the Iraq Study Group has been linked to several other controversial political views and events in his career of public service.

Baker is perhaps most notorious among liberals for his role in the 2000 presidential election.

President George W. Bush, the Republican candidate at the time, hired Baker to head his legal team, and he ultimately convinced the U.S.

Supreme Court to prevent another recount in Florida.

The 5-4 decision essentially granted Bush the presidency.

This series of events has raised significant controversy among Democrats, many of whom blame Baker for ensuring what they consider an undemocratic election.

The Penn Democrats, however, are not taking an official position on Baker's new appointment as keynote speaker.

"We differ with James Baker on a multitude of issues," said Wharton sophomore and Penn Democrats President Clayton Robinson.

"I believe he was wrong in . his stance in the 2000 presidential election, [but] I don't think that we as a group are going to take a stance," he said.

But Baker has recently turned heads on the opposite side of the political spectrum, too.

The Baker-Hamilton Iraq Study Group Report, which Baker co-authored and was released in December, has been heavily criticized by conservatives for its recommendations about the war in Iraq.

Many right-wing groups claimed that the report undermined Bush's plans to continue the war.

But the College Republicans are "really happy" with the decision to bring in Baker, citing his overall conservative record.

"I think he's a great American who's served our country very well, and I'm happy our University has decided to pick him," said Wharton junior and College Republicans Chairman Michael Shiely.

With regard to Baker's contested viewpoints about Bush in Iraq, Shiely said that there isn't "one solution that's always going to be the right one to do."

Another point of contention surrounding Baker is the politician's realist views on foreign policy - that he, in general, espouses policies that further U.S. interests as opposed to human rights interests.

But the University, still backing its decision to invite baker as the 251st Commencement speaker, sees all of this controversy as a good thing.

"It speaks volumes of our University that we honor people of high achievement who are controversial," said Penn President Amy Gutmann, adding that part of higher education's role is to teach students how to engage with individuals with opposing viewpoints.

Political Science professor Avery Goldstein said that any person in the political realm will likely be controversial, but that Baker's presence "at certain very critical junctures in very recent history" makes him an "interesting" speaker.

- Staff writer Emily Babay contributed reporting to this article.