As the replacement for Brian Cusworth, Harvard junior Brad Unger has a large role to fill.

Literally.

When the 7-foot Cusworth left the team a week and a half ago when his eligibility expired, he was leading the team in points and rebounds with 17.4 and 9.1 per game, respectively.

Unger hadn't even started a college game before Cusworth left, but was expected to take on the daunting task of replacing the player who had become the cornerstone of Harvard hoops.

But Unger is used to pressure, and has had his fair share on the field as well as the court.

That's because the forward is also a right-handed pitcher for the Crimson baseball team, making 11 appearances that included three starts last season.

Unger was the winning pitcher in the 2005 contest that clinched the Red Rolfe division for Harvard, and even pitched in the Crimson's first-round NCAA Tournament game against Missouri.

The hurler's prowess earned him a spot on Baseball America's Top 10 Prospects list after spending the summer of his freshman year pitching for the Kutztown Rockies collegiate team.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that he has shown he is up to the task of transitioning from sixth man to Harvard's newest starter.

Penn coach Glen Miller sees pros and cons to both players, saying it will take time to see the long-term effects of losing Cusworth.

Cusworth is "certainly was tough to guard on the block but he could also run the floor," Miller said. "I think Unger shoots the three better, and he's also kind of a blue-collar guy, rebounding the ball and playing physical on the low block."

"He's gives [Harvard] a different dimension," Miller added. "And certainly, a 6-8 guy who can shoot the three as well as play inside gives them a little more flexibility."

The Crimson could use the help - their first two games after losing Cusworth spelled what could be trouble for the rest of the year and Harvard's title hopes.

Harvard suffered a 20-point loss at the hands of Columbia and only eked out a one-point win over Cornell in its most recent game.

Unger chipped in with a total of 12 rebounds, and double-digit scoring efforts in both contests.

And with the Crimson's season inconsistent at best so far, Unger's addition to the starting line-up might be just the catalyst Harvard needs to get on track as the team enters the heart of their conference schedule.

Harvard Athletic Communications did not make Unger or coach Frank Sullivan available for comment.