n9767g65
Last year's Philadelphia Marathon was won by Joseph Nderitu in a time of just over 2 hours, 21 minutes. As many as 9,000 people are expected to participate in this year's 26.2-mile race.

Students who want to tour 26.2 miles of Philadelphia the hard way are in for a treat this weekend.

Around 9,000 runners will participate in the Philadelphia Marathon this Sunday, running through University City, past the Liberty Bell, through Penn's Landing and along the Schuylkill River before finally ending up at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

This is the 13th consecutive running of the race, but a marathon in Philadelphia was first held in 1954.

College senior Zachary Kern, who is running in the marathon for the first time, has trained since May for Sunday's race.

"At the peak of my training, I was running 40 miles per week," he said. "Making myself go through the training and the race will give me a great sense of accomplishment, and my friends are coming out to support me."

Festivities for the race take place all weekend, with a Health and Fitness Expo today and tomorrow at Eakins Oval on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, at which many athletic vendors will showcase the latest fitness apparel and running gear.

Students can register for races or the dinner at the Health Expo, volunteer at water stations along the route or simply root for family and friends during the race, said marathon spokesman Randy Giancaterino.

New additions this year include the creation of eight "express zones," where fans can cheer on runners.

"We've set up entertainment and food at these areas to attract people," Giancaterino said.

Sponsored by American Express, the marathon will also offer the Rothman Institute 8K race and, for the first time, a half-marathon for less experienced runners.

"We have three options for all runners to improve their fitness and health," Giancaterino said. "We're trying to be inclusive and get people away from the TV and running. This is not just for top athletes."

When the marathon started, it had around 1,500 participants, but it has since steadily grown.

"It's been getting bigger and bigger because it's very accessible," Giancaterino said. "The runners like to come to Philly because the course is flat and very scenic. No one in the world can offer what Philadelphia can, because we are the birthplace of America. It's really 26.2 miles of history."