u64xlx59
Denim Nightclub, at 1712 Walnut St., is expecting a big boost the night before Thanksgiving, which has become a major night for partying. One bartender called it "the biggest bar night of the year."

Sure, you might down shots on New Year's Eve - but Thanksgiving?

Strange, but true: For bars and clubs across Philadelphia, Thanksgiving Eve is one of the most hopping partying opportunities of the year, with people reuniting with old friends and family in their hometowns.

Bill Keane, a partner at Denim Nightclub at 1712 Walnut St., said that the night before Thanksgiving is the second most popular partying night of the year, right after New Year's Eve.

Denim is hosting its annual Thanksgroovin' Eve party tonight, featuring a DJ and likely Philadelphia mayoral candidate Jonathan Saidel as guest bartender.

Mark Eisele, bartender at McFaddens Restaurant and Saloon at 461 N. 3rd St., said his venue is usually highly trafficked the night before Thanksgiving.

"It's the biggest bar night of the year," he said.

To meet the high demand, the restaurant is offering $3 Budweisers and Bud Lights and $3 Bacardi and Grey Goose drinks, he added.

He said McFaddens is also running a food drive for charity tonight.

And other area bars are offering similar deals.

Mad River, a bar and grille at 126 Chestnut St. in Old City, is offering $3 domestic drafts at its annual "Pilgrims and Pocahontas" party, manager Jen Brown said.

"It's bigger than a Friday or a Saturday," Brown said.

Gigi Restaurant and Lounge at 319 Market St. is also offering drink specials at its annual party, hosted in collaboration with Grotto Entertainment, manager Irina Vinokur said.

Brown said Mad River receives a lot of calls requesting that the bar host reunions and gatherings on Thanksgiving Eve.

Bars and clubs are well aware that Thanksgiving is prime time for people to kick back with old friends.

"Everyone comes home," Keane said. "It is the one night where everyone can get together and catch up."