Globalization may be an international phenomenon, but it is wrenching control from local governments and shaping political participation in democracies, three professors said yesterday.

Political Science professor Jack Nagel, Anthropology professor Brian Spooner and Management professor Gerald McDermott discussed the impact of international economics on democracy before a small group of students and community members.

Although globalization has been occurring for centuries, its effect on the development of democracies has rapidly changed over the last few decades, Spooner said.

"The relationship between democracy and globalization is changing," he said. "Often people want to tie democracy to competitive elections, but what we consider democracy to be now is not the same as what others defined it as 50 years ago."

Conflicts between a country's desire to modernize and its desire to retain power often define debates concerning globalization, McDermott said.

"As countries embrace globalization and development, they have to cede power to a distant super-national entity," he said. "Mexicans can, through globalization, influence labor policy in Pennsylvania, which is a very difficult concept for some."

Toward the end of the presentation, Nagel emphasized the importance of international issues stemming from globalization.

"Politics at the international level are more important than ever because they deal with super-national issues like terrorism and global warming," he said.

The event, called "Outsourcing the Ballot: The Interplay between Globalization and Democracy," was held at Huntsman Hall by Penn Forum and the Fox Leadership Program.

West Philadelphia resident Nathan Helfrick, who attended the event, said the cultural implications of globalization interest him.

"I have my own theories about what the driving force behind globalization is, but I wanted to hear from other people," he said. "The problem of private corporations moving into countries and affecting local economies is an important issue."

Wharton and College sophomore Alexander Sulyevich, who moderated the discussion, said he was pleased with how the event turned out. "These professors each had their own perspective on the issues, and we liked how each person put in what they knew about globalization," he said.