Andrea Finch, a sophomore in the College, works on a laptop in her room in the Franklin Community House. Finch said she was notified that the ZBT fraternity could reclaim the house before the start of the year.Chris Poliquin/The Daily Pennsylvanian

On the third floor of the Stouffer College House Annex live 13 students interested in public service.

But the first floor of the building - with a pool table, TV area and large lounge room - resembles a fraternity house more than a dorm.

And next year, a fraternity may actually return to claim the house as its own.

The Stouffer College House Annex on Spruce Street near 39th was the Zeta Beta Tau house before the fraternity was kicked off campus in January 2004.

Beginning in the fall of 2004, the house was used as housing for transfer and international students. Since fall 2005, it has been home to the Franklin Community, a residential program for students interested in public service.

College sophomore Erin Sullivan, who is a member of the Franklin Community, said she wasn't surprised to learn ZBT plans to return to the house next year.

"It's not like we have that much claim on it," she said.

This semester, ZBT plans to recolonize on campus, and next fall, they hope to return to their house, ZBT national executive director Jonathan Yulish said.

The house is technically owned by the University but is managed in a partnership between the University and ZBT alumni.

Because of the nature of the house's ownership, it is not guaranteed that ZBT will be allowed to return to the house, but it is likely, said Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Director Scott Reikofski.

"I feel badly the community will be displaced," Reikofski said. He added that the University was aware the fraternity was planning to return to campus and would only be absent from the house for two to three years.

And Franklin Community participants already knew they would only be housed in the Stouffer Annex for this year when they applied for the program.

Chris Bower, the staff fellow for the Franklin Community, said several other locations were being considered for the group's housing, including Stouffer College House.

He said it isn't necessarily where the students live that is key to the program, but that they live together.

"What's important is not just what they do, but how they build their community," Bower said.

College junior Sarah Zuckerman, who is also in the Franklin Community, said she just wants to make sure the program will continue after the frat boys return.

"I'd be sad to see the house and the program disappear," she said.