[Brittany Binler/The Summer Pennsylvanian] The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania was the area in which a Penn Police officer shot and wounded 25 year old Brahim Johnson on Tuesday after an attempted bike theft. Johnson is in stable condit

A Penn police officer shot and wounded a man in the area of 300 S. 33rd Street on Tuesday, but the reason he fired is still unknown.

According to Penn's Division of Public Safety, 25 year-old Brahim Johnson and 40 year-old Wendell Moore were trying to steal a bicycle from a bicycle rack at approximately 4:45 p.m. when Penn police attempted to arrest the two men.

During the course of the arrests, Johnson sustained a gunshot wound from the arresting officers. Moore was arrested without incident and the police officers were not injured in the incident.

The reason for the discharging of the officer's firearm remains unclear and both DPS and the Philadelphia police declined to clarify.

The investigation is ongoing and not many details of the incident have been released by either the Philadelphia Police Department, or the Penn Police.

Johnson was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for treatment of his wounds. He is currently in stable condition.

The incident took place outside the Chemistry Complex located at 34th and Spruce Streets in the area between Franklin Field and HUP, as Philadelphians and Penn students prepared to celebrate Independence Day that evening.

Authorities did not say why the officer fired on Johnson but acknowledged that Philadelphia Police and Southwest Detectives are conducting an investigation of the shooting and the criminal charges.

An internal review will be conducted by the University of Pennsylvania Police Department and the Philadelphia District Attorney's office of the incident.

According to Lt. John Walker from Southwest Detectives, whenever a Penn Police officer shoots an individual, the District Attorney conducts an investigation to ensure that the weapon discharge was appropriate and warranted.

Both defendants are unaffiliated with the University.