How not to get mugged in foreign countries

I consider myself fortunate enough to have been born into a family that loves to travel. Recognizing family photo ops in the images of my school books and appreciating cultural differences are two obvious benefits, but I'm most thankful that my family instilled in me this same passion. Nevertheless, there is one downside. From an early age, I learned to identify (fanny pack, baseball cap, tee-shirt, camera around neck, map in hand), pity and reject the typical American tourist (whiny children, tired mom, and well-meaning dad). The guidebook replaces the Bible and an English menu signifies a good place to eat. They tour the recommended museums, visit the recommended sites and go on the recommended rides.

Since leaving home to come to Penn, I have done a summer program in Florence, Italy; studied in Paris, France for a semester; interned for a summer in New York, NY; and am now, once again, in Paris, interning for the summer. At each of these locations and the many more I visited I always hesitated before doing the "must-sees".

Nevertheless, last night, I took a ride down the Seine of one of the Bateaux-Moche. Shamefully surprised, I thought it was wonderful! However, were it not for the visit of my roommate's family who invited us to go on cruise with them after dinner, I would never have gone on one. Packed with tourists enthusiastically waving to the people on the Seine, snapping photos furiously and eagerly pointing to all the well-known landmarks, I had always regarded those boats the same way one looks at the monkeys in the zoo. A little sad. They're so similar to us, yet so far away.

Yet, I found myself on the top deck, waiting for both the boat to set off and the Eiffel Tower to sparkle. The clear night was warm without being stifling. Save for a nice man who offered to take our photo we were nearly alone. It was fairly easy to tune out the drone pointing out historical spots and the guide's British accent was pleasant.

The children jumped up to touch each bridge we passed under. Only from our angle can one appreciate the workmanship and detail put into each of the bridges, from the oldest built in 1606 to those simply constructed for railroads. The ship's floodlights illuminating the banks reveal enamored couples picnicking and kissing. Looking around Paris at night from this different angle, I realized just how wrong I had been.

"Tourist" is synonymous with journeyer, stranger, traveler, visitor, voyager. Too often though, it is easy for us to become accustomed to our surroundings and fail to look both for and at things in a new way. How many New Yorkers haven't visited the Statue of Liberty? Or, better yet, only when a friend or relative comes to visit?

I thought back to Philadelphia and my life at Penn. I have one year left at this campus and in this city (my parent's didn't accept the five year plan and I doubt I'll be going to graduate school there). When I first arrived, everything was new and exciting, but like many freshman, rarely ventured off campus to explore. Sophomore year and junior year I made more of a conscious effort but it is necessary to find the unfamiliar in order to learn and grow.

Therefore, I am going to read the guide books and then go do the "touristy" thing. First, here in Paris and then, back in Philadelphia. See which ones I recommend because there is a fine line because doing something just because everyone else does and finding something slightly more obscure, but perhaps more meaningful.

But please, don't wear the fanny pack.