[Alex Small/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Newly elected NEC Chairwoman Laura Brookover discusses goals for the coming year, including encouraging more candidates to run for office.

The Daily Pennsylvanian

Laura Brookover wants to make learning about campus diversity issues a priority.

The College junior was elected last week as chairwoman of the Nominations and Elections Committee.

The NEC governs student elections and nominates students for various University committees.

It also names student groups to be represented on the University Council, an advisory body of faculty, students and administrators.

In an interview, Brookover discussed her goals for the coming year.

The Daily Pennsylvanian: What are your goals for the NEC next year?

Laura Brookover: One of the major roles of the chair[woman] is not really to set the agenda and to set specific goals but mainly to help the other executive board members in their different realms and the different projects that they take on. Mainly, I would function in a supportive role.

I think that one of the major things we are looking towards for next year is increasing the general education of our body internally and making sure members are as equipped as they can be to make some of the decisions that the NEC has to make from year to year.

DP: What changes would you like to see in the NEC next year?

LB: I think one of the changes that could take place is that I think the NEC itself can become better versed in issues that the campus faces in general, like diversity issues, because we appoint to the University Council seats under- and misrepresented groups, so maybe just getting a better understanding of what a mis- or underrepresented group means on Penn's campus.

... [I want to see] improvements as far as the number of candidates who run for elections. In the past years, that number has been decreasing, and we want to get more races where there's more than one candidate running. We also want to increase voter turnout.

DP: How do you feel this year's elections went?

LB: I think the elections went very well. I think the fact that there were no violations filed attests to the fact that elections went smoothly. ... I think the one thing that could be improved upon is getting more candidates to run because I know that was one of the problems that, [if fixed,] may have even led to a better turnout.

DP: What's coming up on the NEC's calendar?

LB: One thing that is going to be different is that the University Council is revisiting the structure of its individual committees. ... This year, they decided to revamp the structure so we weren't able to appoint to those committees [during the spring], so that's something that's going to happen early next fall. So actually, students are encouraged to apply for those early next fall.

Brookover replaces College senior David Diesenhouse at the helm of the NEC.

Other members of next year's NEC executive board include Dan Strigenz, Vice-Chairman of Elections; Mike Zubrow and Jessica Stolbach, Vice-Chairmen of Nominations; Carrie Alexander, Vice-Chairwoman of Education; Julie Adler, Vice-Chairwoman of Publicity; and Aimee Joblove, Secretary/Treasurer.

All on board The NEC's new executive board: - Chairwoman: Laura Brookover - Vice Chairman of Elections: Dan Strigenz - Vice Chairs of Nominations: Mike Zubrow and Jessica Stolbach - Vice Chairwoman of Education: Carrie Alexander - Vice-Chairwoman of Publicity: Julie Adler - Secretary/Treasurer: Aimee Joblove