[Jeff Hammond/The Daily Pennsylvanian] 'Plateau,' a public art installation at 40th and Locust streets sees use from passers-by. More people have been using it since the arrival of spring. as the weather has gotten warmer.

To some, it's a playground. For others, a desk.

Some come to eat. Some to chat with friends. Others to get a tan.

"Plateau," the public art installation located at 40th and Locust streets, has received a run of negative reviews on its aesthetic merit. But with the onset of warm weather, more and more people are finding that campus' latest artwork is at least functional.

"I hate it. I think it's really ugly. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to use it," said College senior Rachel Dodson, who was hanging out on the artwork with some friends Saturday. "Since it's here, I'll sit on it and eat on it, and I feel fine about that. I just wish it were something else."

College junior Dean Panayides said he doesn't think Plateau fits with Penn's campus, but he still finds it a nice place to eat food from the Greek Lady or Izzy and Zoe's across the street.

"It's totally function over form," he said. "Just like our library."

Dodson, Panayides and others believe the convenient, high-traffic location is key in drawing people to "Plateau."

"It's nice to have more space across from those stores," said College sophomore Tomoyo Nakamura, who was eating a meal from Qdoba, also at 40th and Locust, atop Plateau. "Now we can get food and come here and eat."

But not everyone comes to "Plateau" just to sit.

The sculpture has also been used by children for climbing and by bikers for doing tricks.

"I don't think the skateboarders have discovered it yet," Panayides said.

Artist Andrea Blum has said she envisioned the piece as a meeting place for the community. And although the art is utilized by both students and local residents, some are unconvinced that the art serves its intended purpose.

Dodson's friend, College senior Stevie Glaberson, agreed that "Plateau" does not encourage interaction between people who wouldn't otherwise be interacting.

"We would be sitting together as a group on the floor if this wasn't here," she said.

Panayides was slightly more optimistic.

"I don't know if it has become, but it hopefully will become, a meeting point," he said.