Philadelphia City Councilman Rick Mariano was found guilty last Friday of accepting nearly $30,000 from Philadelphia businessmen in exchange for legislative favors.

The jury convicted Mariano on 18 counts, including bribery, money laundering and filing a false tax return. He was acquitted of four charges of fraud.

After the verdict was read, U.S. District Judge Lawrence Stengel revoked Mariano's bail and ordered him to be placed in federal custody pending a psychiatric evaluation, citing an earlier suicide scare last year. Days before Mariano was indicted, he had ascended alone to the top of City Hall.

Mayor John Street has called on Mariano to resign from his position on City Council immediately, but the councilman's legislative adviser, Anthony Ingargiola, said that Mariano would serve as long as legally possible.

"He's going to exercise his rights to their full extent," Ingargiola said. "The office is still open -- I still have business to do."

Mariano will have to leave his position upon sentencing, according to a 1980 city solicitor's opinion.

Larry Ceisler, co-founder of media-relations firm Ceisler Jubelirer LLC, used to work for Mariano and said that he was sad to see his former boss leave this way.

"It's pathetic -- if Rick would have filled out a discussion form and said it was a loan, everything would be legal," Ceisler said.

As of last evening, Mariano was in federal custody.

-- Ben Marrone