Penn researchers could be on the brink of finding a new way to treat asthma.

Instead of using drugs, the team hopes a device that weakens the muscles in the throat that spasm during an asthma attack can help relieve sufferers.

"This is the first-ever study in the world to use a non-pharmacological approach to the treatment of asthma, meaning no drugs," said Ali Musani, a Medical professor who is involved with the study.

The Asthmatx device consists of a tube inserted into the throat with a device at the end which works to destroy some of the surrounding muscle cells, reducing the muscles' ability to spasm.

The study is designed to determine whether the treatment works in the absence of medication.

Though Penn researchers are conducting the study in conjunction with other hospitals, the results could have a particular impact in the neighborhood surrounding the University.

Asthma is highly prevalent in Philadelphia, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia pediatrician Tyra Bryant-Stephens said. Bryant-Stephens runs the hospital's Community Asthma Prevention Program and is a Pediatric professor at Penn.

"Asthma prevalence is estimated to be around 15 percent in North and West Philadelphia," she said, which is higher than any other rate in the city.

If the study is successful, "we would hope that patients would require a lower dose [of drugs] and thus have fewer complications," said Maureen George, a Penn researcher who is coordinating the study.

French said previous contact between Penn and the Asthmatx company laid the groundwork for doing the study here.

"Both the contact we had and the awesome reputation that Penn has led us to explore whether Penn had the capabilities to participate in this study," he said.

French added that "Duke, and some of the Harvard facilities" will also be among the 20 American and 40 international institutions participating.

The Asthmatx device has undergone four smaller human trials previously. Most were focused on proving the device's safety rather than its effectiveness.

But drugs or even this new procedure aren't the only ways to reduce the rate of asthma, a chronic disease. Preventative measures can help, Bryant-Stephens said.

Penn students who take the "Urban Asthma Epidemic" academically based, community service course teach classes to community members about removing cockroaches, dust mites, mold, tobacco smoke and pet dander from their homes.

"We really appreciate them. They're usually well prepared and they do a great job," Bryant-Stephens said.