[Alex Small/The Daily Pennsylvanian] University President Amy Gutmann addresses those attending the annual Daily Pennsylvanian banquet Saturday evening.

The Daily Pennsylvanian honored its staff and officially passed the torch from the 121st to the 122nd Board of Editors and Managers at its annual banquet last Saturday held at the Inn at Penn.

Hundreds of current and former staff members, friends and family converged for dinner, awards and speeches, including an address from University President Amy Gutmann.

DP alumnus and Pulitzer Prize-winning Los Angeles Times reporter Charles Ornstein was the keynote speaker at the event. He acknowledged that the newspaper industry is undergoing changes amid falling circulation, but congratulated the DP for consistently turning out journalists that go on to work for major publications.

Ornstein added that the DP's coverage of crime on campus has had a positive effect on the community and holds those in charge of security responsible.

"The campus is safer today ... because of The Daily Pennsylvanian," Ornstein said.

Outgoing Executive Editor and College senior David Burrick introduced his successor, College junior Jeff Greenwald, calling him "a visionary" but also noting that "he kind of looks like a girl from behind."

Greenwald praised the publication's past success, saying that the newspaper has reached a level of quality as yet unseen, but he also called on the paper's staff to continue that trend.

"I think we can continue to bring [the DP] to a higher place," said Greenwald, who made it his goal to make the DP the No. 1 college newspaper in the country.

"There is no reason we cannot put in a little more effort or a few more minutes editing," he said.

Some parts of the evening, however, were a little fuzzier than others. The winner of this year's J. Gordon Spector Memorial Random Hook-up Award is still hotly contested among DP staff members.

Incoming Editorial Page Editor and College junior Evan Goldin said that incorrect reports of the evening's indiscretions were widespread.

"I had so much fun I didn't remember hooking up with someone," Goldin said. "And then it turned out I didn't."

Incoming 34th Street Managing Editor and College junior Todd Grabarsky also said he might be the winner -- but was not quite sure.

"It could have happened, but I don't remember," Grabarsky said.

Several sources confirmed that beat reporter Milly Turakhia and columnist and sportswriter Josh Pollick hooked up on the dance floor, but the College freshman and senior are not eligible for the award because they do not serve on the editorial board.

Goldin said he enjoyed seeing his co-workers express themselves through their dancing. One staff member Goldin especially enjoyed seeing was incoming Managing Editor and College junior Rachel Feintzeig.

"Between the open bar and the rap music, I was a happy camper," Feintzeig said.

Alex Small, the incoming senior photo editor and a College sophomore, said that seeing editors and writers cut loose on the dance floor proved memorable, especially with the free alcohol flowing from the bar.

"I saw some of the most awkward people doing some of the most awkward dancing," Small said.