[Becca Starr/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Erick Goihman (left) and Josef Fruehwald study in their room in the Sheraton University City Hotel. Penn students living there will get on-campus housing assignments tomorrow.

A concierge, lobby fireplace and outdoor swimming pool may not seem like typical dormitory amenities. But for about 25 students who have called the Sheraton University City Hotel their home this past semester, they are just a part of daily life.

These students were relocated to the ninth floor of the hotel at 36th and Chestnut streets due to a lack of on-campus housing. The shortage resulted from the large number of accepted students who matriculated into this year's freshman class.

Now the time has come for the students to abandon their hotel accommodations and return to on-campus living.

The students will receive new housing assignments tomorrow and will be expected to check out of the Sheraton no later than Jan. 5. They will be charged $100 for each additional day that they remain in the hotel.

Sufficient on-campus housing is available for the spring semester because of students traveling abroad and graduating, Housing and Conference Services spokeswoman Dana Matkevich said. The hotel has been used for overflow housing on two other occasions over the past 10 years.

"The Sheraton is actually really cool," said Engineering and College sophomore Dimitri Samaratunga, who originally requested a double in the high rises. "I was actually hoping that this would be for the whole year. I'm kind of disappointed that we have to move out."

College senior Samora Noguera, however, said that although he has also enjoyed his stay, he is ready to check out.

"I need a kitchen," said Noguera, who had originally applied for a single or a suite with the intent of preparing much of his own food and reluctantly purchased a meal plan this semester instead.

Whatever their attitudes, the University says that students cannot stay.

"We are happy that we are able to relocate the students back to campus so that they can be within the College House community and with other students," Matkevich said. "The Sheraton is a hotel that has a different population and client base, not a long-term student housing facility."

The hotel rooms resemble dorm-style doubles, complete with a bed, closet, desk and private bathrooms. Students cannot use the hotel's room service or housekeeping.

The rent is the same as for the doubles in King's Court/English House -- $2,698 per semester. The students also have a residential adviser and hall activities, such as ice rink trips, as other college houses do.

However, the location -- which the students say they appreciate for its proximity to their classes and Wawa -- still provides a unique living experience.

Noguera said he has taken advantage of the swimming pool and hotel bar. On occasion, he has encountered sports teams visiting from other schools and even foreign dignitaries.

Although the students are not placed on a floor with other hotel guests, they share an unusual neighbor -- the Penn Sleep Center, which conducts research on sleep disorders.

"I don't know what the hell kind of experiments they're running in there," Noguera said. "One time, at like 3:30 in the morning, I was coming in on a Saturday night. This guy comes out, and he has all kinds of wires attached to his head. He looked like [horror movie character] Hellraiser."

Despite mysterious pairs of shoes left by patients outside the door and the occasional warnings to be quiet, most students' interactions with the center have not been quite as frightening.

"I've actually run into several of the patients that go" to the Sleep Center, Engineering senior Erick Goihman said. "It's mostly ... old ladies who can't sleep."

But the Sleep Center will not be the only thing students will have to say goodbye to. They have also become friendly with some members of the hotel staff.

"You get to know them and interact," said Sheraton concierge Phil Drozd, who helps carry boxes and suitcases for students on occasion. "I'll kind of miss them."