The Blarney Stone, tucked away on Sansom Street, has long prided itself on its disdain for pretense. For instance, doormen are instructed to not permit entry to potential customers with popped collars.

Frequent patrons and staff members boast of the camaraderie. Owner Kevin Kearney says that a tense barroom situation between two customers can simply be defused by an introduction from a staff member.

Likewise, the decorations and layout of the bar are meant to reflect the temperament and atmosphere created by the customers and staff. There are TVs rotating ESPN and whatever game is on that night, dart boards, pool tables and a juke box. None of these are meant to be the centerpiece of your experience; that role is meant to be filled by the interactions between patrons at tables, booths and the bar.

The bar offers a wide spectrum of beers, with 24 different bottles and 16 taps. Everything from mainstay domestics like Yuengling, Budweiser and Miller Lite to craft and imports like Blue Moon, Newcastle, Flying Fish, Yards and the seasonal variety of Samuel Adams is available. Similarly, a wide variety of whiskeys, vodkas and other assorted spirits is available, to be shot straight or as part of a mixed drink.

In recent weeks, the Blarney Stone has added another dimension, food service and a full kitchen, Fatboy & Slim's, that runs every day until 11 p.m. The new kitchen offers largely traditional bar fare, and as the name might imply, substantial portions. On the menu are a slew of appetizers, burgers, hoagies, steaks and salads. Most importantly, most everything is priced under $5.50, except for the especially substantial hoagies.

When I stopped by on a late Tuesday afternoon, the bar was empty, but this is to be expected for an establishment that does most of its business after 10 p.m. I ordered a special double pork burger ($5.50) a construction of a third of a pound of ground beef, bacon, provolone, pulled pork and barbecue sauce. The already-generous burger came with a tasty side of seasoned fries. Together with a pint of Sierra Nevada, the innovative fusion of Philadelphia's love of pulled pork and a classic American staple made a great mix.

In addition to the double pork burger, Fatboy & Slim's offers another unique take on classic Americana, the pizza burger ($4.75), a monstrous construction of pepperoni, mozzarella, marinara, mozzarella sticks and beef. The diversity of options is likely to satiate almost everyone.