[Ben Rosenau/DP File Photo] The 'wind tunnel' in the area between the high rises may soon be mitigated by the installation of trees.

Heading back to the high rises after class this winter just might be a little warmer, thanks to a landscaping project begun this week.

The project focuses on the area outside the newly renovated Harnwell College House and the space between the front of Harrison College House and Locust Walk. The project includes constructing new walkways and several large trees to block the bitter winds that blow through the area on most winter days.

Just to the west of Harnwell, a planter raised to seating height and landscaped with trees and bushes will be complemented with a new bike rack.

"A project like this would be important both aesthetically [and] functionally," Facilities and Real Estate Services spokesman Tony Sorrentino said, adding that the renovation should also curb "wind tunnel" effects.

This is the final phase of the long-term Hamilton Village renovation project, which started in the summer of 2002. The plan called for the exterior renovations of the three high-rise buildings.

The construction was scheduled to begin yesterday and is supposed to be completed by the end of the fall semester. Students were informed via e-mail of the plans last week.

"My experience with renovation is that [the workers] have been extremely sensitive to students' concerns," Harrison House Dean Frank Pellicone said. "My understanding is that the inconvenience will be minimal."

39th Street between Irving Street and Locust Walk will be fenced off to all foot traffic. A temporary walkway will connect Irving Street to Locust Walk at Hamilton College House, while Harrison will be accessible from Spruce Street.

Students were warned about the possibility of increased noise levels between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday due to the construction.

"It would have been great to have done it with fewer students in the area," Pellicone said.

However, he is not too worried about the noise disturbing the residents of the building.

"The windows they put in with the renovation have been great. Now I don't really hear noise from the apartment."

He believes the warning was to "prepare students for the most inconvenience."

Pellicone believes that the improvements are necessary, as the landscaping in front of Harrison does not match the other landscaping completed in the area.

However, not all students are so sure of the necessity of the project.

"I think the interiors [of the buildings] are more important," College freshman and Harnwell resident Kaarina Romero said.

Romero had heard that Harnwell was under construction this summer and expected to find a newly renovated room upon her arrival.

Though her apartment was renovated, she said it "did not live up to" her expectations.