[Toby Hicks/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Freshman candidates campaign for spots on the 2009 class board at the Midnight Breakfast last night. The annual event brings together candidates for student government and their freshman peers.

There's no better way to kick off the voting season than with free food.

Last night, the Midnight Breakfast, sponsored by the Nominations and Elections Committee, combined bagels and donuts in Houston Hall with the opportunity for freshman student-government candidates to reach out to potential supporters.

NEC Vice Chairman of Elections Eli Hoffman said that 20 candidates are vying for eight seats on the Undergraduate Assembly, and more than 30 are applying for 10 class-board positions, two of which are set aside for representatives from the College of Arts and Sciences.

With so many students running for such few spaces, Hoffman, a College senior, said that "it's important they meet a lot of people and get their ideas across."

Candidates took that initiative at the Midnight Breakfast.

"You need to get yourself out there and meet people eye to eye. ... The most important thing to me is the handshake," said Steve Martucci, a College freshman running for vice president of corporate sponsorship.

College freshman Dan Tavana, who is running for class president, said that gatherings like the breakfast help him get to know his supporters.

"I think it's better to situate yourself with a large group of people for more than five minutes," he said.

In addition to talking with students, some candidates have done more than hanging up neon posters with humorous puns.

"I don't feel like chalking up the walk and hanging up a ridiculous amount of posters will do anything," Tavana said.

Instead, he and his running mate, College freshman Chris Ritchie, who is running for vice president, went for shock value.

They distributed condoms labeled, "Don't get shafted. Vote for Dan Tavana and Chris Ritchie."

Wharton freshman Tom Lumpkin, running for vice president of corporate sponsorship, wore a white suit to class on Friday and to the breakfast, attaching a flyer to himself that said "Vote for Lumpkin."

Hoffman described the freshmen running as "a strong candidate pool, and a lot of them are excited about the opportunities that come along with winning."

UA Chairwoman and College senior Rachel Fersh said that prime candidates should have a passion for changing the school.

She added that future UA members must have the energy and enthusiasm to rally others around their ideas, especially administrators, who have the final say over most issues.

College freshman Dave Weinreb said that though he found the breakfast disorganized, it was an "educational and fun activity."

"The karaoke is amazing, it really picks up the event," added College freshman Emily Lasky.