[Eric Meder/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Junior Jen Nichols fields a ball during Penn's Game 1 loss yesterday. Nichols went 2-for-5 on the day with four RBIs.

The Penn softball team came in to its last home games looking to snap the three-game losing streak that began last weekend. Unfortunately for the Quakers, their poor hitting, pitching and defense led to two more losses, as Drexel swept the doubleheader at Warren Field.

In Game 1 Penn fell, 8-5, and the Quakers were shut out in the second game, 3-0.

"I was very disappointed with our performance today," coach Leslie Moore said. "Drexel's a team we should have beaten, and we just didn't show up today."

The Dragons (15-14, 6-5 Colonial Athletic Association) made their presence known early, scoring their first run of Game 1 in just their third at-bat. Pitcher Elizabeth Fuller singled up the middle to drive in leadoff hitter Amanda Hastings, who reached on a double to left.

The Dragons scored two more runs in the third inning, forcing pitcher Lindsey Permar out of the game -- she was relieved by freshman Rachel Mowry. Permar allowed three runs, one earned, on three hits, while walking two.

However, the adjustment did not hinder Drexel's hitting, as sophomore Brianne Brown hit a two-run home run off of Mowry in the top of the fifth.

The Quakers were not able to put runs on the board until the bottom of the fifth, when a hit by junior Jen Nichols brought junior Meghan Cowen home.

Penn (13-22, 3-7 Ivy) was able to get its second run two at-bats later, as senior Kim Le set up a suicide squeeze bunt. But she missed the ball and so did Drexel's catcher. The confusion in the Dragons' infield allowed Nichols to steal to home, making the score 5-2.

But the Quakers' pitching staff continued to struggle, as the Dragons scored two more runs in the seventh, forcing another pitching change for Penn -- from Mowry to sophomore Olivia Mauro.

In total, Mowry gave up five runs, three of them earned, on eight hits, while walking two in four innings.

"Our pitchers didn't pitch as well as they needed to and Drexel got the hits with runners on," Moore said.

The Quakers tried to rally in the bottom of seventh, as Nichols hit a home run that brought Cowen and pinch runner Susan McIlvaine in to score.

It was too little too late, however, as Drexel came away with the win.

"We gave it our all and tried to come back," sophomore Casey Hare said. "Unfortunately it just wasn't enough today."

The Quakers' play did not improve in Game 2 as the strain of the four-game losing streak began to show.

"Mentally I think people believed that they couldn't do it today," freshman pitcher Ann Ferracane said. "Everybody wanted it, but sometimes it's just hard to pick each other up."

The Quakers' pitching staff would fare no better in Game 2 either. Senior Kara Eyre started out the game by giving up three runs on five hits and three walks in the first two innings.

Ferracane, whose shoulder and elbow were sore due to tendonitis that was still lingering from her last start, relieved Eyre. The arm problems stopped Ferracane from starting the game. Nevertheless she delivered a solid performance, allowing only one hit for the remainder of the day.

The Quakers continued to hit poorly and to struggle defensively, however, as missed opportunities at the plate and four errors in the field plagued the squad. Penn also had four errors in the first game, and in the two games combined the Quakers' eight errors led to six unearned runs.

"We made far too many errors," Moore said. "We also had a ton of chances with runners on, and no one really came through with the clutch hit."

Compounding the Quakers' inconsistent hitting efforts was the Dragons' solid pitching, as Drexel shut out Penn to complete the sweep. Penn still has not won the second game of a doubleheader this season after losing the first game.

The Quakers are next in action on Saturday at Brown, and conclude their season Sunday at Yale.