After a disappointing start to its road trip that included a pair of losses at Cornell, the Penn softball team was able to rally and sweep Columbia, 6-5 and 2-1, to earn its first two Ivy League wins of the season.

The Quakers (12-15, 2-4 Ivy) started the weekend by facing a well-prepared Cornell team (16-13, 2-2). Although the squad hit well, a stifling Big Red defense in addition to solid pitching proved to be too much for the Quakers to overcome.

In the first game of the doubleheader, Cornell scored early, putting two runs on the board in the bottom of the first.

Penn was not able to answer until the top of the fifth, when the Quakers scored two runs. Sophomore Kaelin Ainley scored on a hit by sophomore Teresa Leyden, and Leyden was brought home later in the inning on a hit by freshman Annie Kinsey.

The Quakers were not able to hold on for long, however, as Cornell pulled ahead in the bottom of the sixth and maintained the lead to win game 1, 3-2.

"We had a lot of things that didn't go our way in the first game," coach Leslie Moore said. "We hit the ball hard, but they were making diving catches and playing some outstanding defense."

In game 2 of the doubleheader, Leyden scored the Quakers' first and only run of the game in the first inning on an error by Cornell catcher Lauren Battaglia. It was downhill from then on, however, as the Big Red continued to hit well and dominate defensively, completing the sweep with an 11-1 win.

Although they had suffered two tough losses, the Quakers stayed positive and came in to the doubleheader at Columbia in high spirits.

"We just talked a lot about what things were going to turn around for us if we stayed positive and continued to play well," Moore said. "And things did turn around for us."

In game 1 against the Lions (14-20, 1-3), Leyden continued to hit well and drove in Penn's first two runs on a single to right field that brought in Ainley and Kim May.

The Lions answered in the fourth, scoring four runs on three hits to pull ahead, 5-2.

The Quakers did not wait long to regain the lead, however, as junior Jen Nichols' home run in the fifth brought the deficit to two. Three consecutive singles by sophomores Kim May, Ainley and Stephanie Reichert loaded the bases. A Columbia error and two fielder's choices brought home all three base runners.

Although the Lions made one last effort on a shot to center field in the bottom of the seventh with runners on, Leyden made a diving catch to get the final out and end the game.

Freshman Ann Ferracane pitched the first three innings, allowing five runs on seven hits, and was relieved by freshman Rachel Mowry who held the Lions to 2 hits and no runs, earning her first collegiate win.

The victory also gave Penn one more than in last year's 10-win season.

The Quakers carried their momentum into game 2 of the doubleheader, and were bolstered by a solid pitching performance by Olivia Mauro. The sophomore pitched her first collegiate complete game, allowing only one run, five hits and one walk in seven innings.

Freshman Christina Khosravi led the charge in the first inning with a clutch hit, when she singled with two outs to bring in Reichert.

Columbia scored a run in the third, and the game remained tied until the sixth inning. With two outs, sophomore Brandi King singled to bring Khosravi in to score, putting Penn ahead by one.

The Quakers then maintained the lead to win game 2, 2-1, and sweep the Lions.

"We had really timely hitting in game 2," Moore said. "The two clutch singles with two outs came when we needed them most."

The Quakers are next in action at home against Villanova (22-14, 0-2 Big East) on Wednesday and will be looking to reach the much sought-after .500 mark that has eluded the team since 1984.