A group of upset students officially launched a petition against U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan Saturday, denouncing the University's decision to honor him as the 2005 Commencement speaker.

Calling Annan's selection "inappropriate and appalling," the petition describes the chief of the world's largest governing body both a "polarizing figure" and an "incompetent leader."

The group calls itself "Kofi Off Campus" and says the petition is a local response to an independent investigation that issued contentious conclusions about Annan's role in the United Nations' scandal-plagued oil-for-food program. Though investigators ultimately declared that the secretary-general did not have knowledge of the problems, group members still believe Penn should be wary of inviting him to speak.

Kofi Off Campus President Brian Quimby, who like most of the organizers is also a member of the College Republicans, said he was pleased that the online petition -- at Kofioffcampus.org -- had already received a positive response from students.

"The movement is just really getting started," he said.

Quimby wrote the petition and specifically crafted the document to address the concerns of the entire Penn population. Though the College Republicans discussed and planned a reaction at a meeting last week, Quimby says the petition is not affiliated with any political or religious group on campus.

He hopes to present the document to the University Board of Trustees before the May 16 Commencement ceremony.

As of last night, the petition contained 60 names, of which most were of students. The list included more than 20 students who are affiliated with the College Republicans and only a handful of members of this year's graduating class.

Quimby believes the number of signatures will grow quickly once the group begins an advertising campaign today.

The petition itself demands that the University reconsider the decision with greater student input.

Penn College Republicans President Eric Rechtschaffen supports the petition, especially in light of the recent report from the investigation into the United Nations' oil-for-food program.

He said the U.N. report severely criticized Annan's leadership and showed that with the compromised credibility of Annan and the United Nations, the speaker "might not reflect well on the University at large for inviting him."

The inquiry committee -- led by former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker -- cleared Annan of responsibility in the controversy surrounding an oil-for-food program contract with Cotecna inspection services, the same company that employed his son, Kojo. The investigation found that Cotecna was the lowest bidder on the contract that it was awarded.

"There is no evidence that the selection of Cotecna in 1998 was subject to any affirmative or improper influence of the Secretary-General in the bidding or selection process," the report said.

However, the report found fault with Annan's handling of the conflict of interest, noting that Annan should have immediately referred the issue to an appropriate U.N. department for a more "thorough and independent investigation" instead of the limited investigation Annan originally commissioned.

University Secretary Leslie Kruhly said the administration was pleased that the investigation found "no evidence of corruption on [Annan's] part," and that although some of his actions were unfortunate and some situations mishandled, nothing he did was illegal.

"We're always disappointed if our choice displeases students," Kruhly said, but officials "maintains our support" for Annan.

Kruhly said that out of the few responses the University received, the majority of feedback seemed positive.

She said any negative criticism of Annan centered on the appropriateness of his presence as Commencement speaker in light of the current circumstances.

"There is virtually no person you can choose who will please everyone," Kruhly said, noting the criticism that past speakers have generated, especially the controversial Archbishop Desmond Tutu in 2003 -- who won a nobel prize for his efforts to end apartheid in South Africa, but was considered to be anti-Semitic by some.

College junior Sally Dreibelbis, who is a member of the College Republicans, said her opposition to Annan is not political. Hers is the 52nd name on the petition.

"I think the University should be more sensitive to the fact ... that [the decision] is so controversial," she said.

Despite the controversy that some perceive, the Penn College Democrats say the main concern should be respect.

Annan "is in some ways a controversial figure, and he does head an organization that is also controversial," Penn Democrats Vice President Nathan Hake said, "but this is a graduation ... a big day in the life of some people."

Penn Democrats President Jess Smyth added that students could disagree with Annan as a figure, but could still "listen to what he has to say" as a prominent world leader, and that his presence "speaks highly of Penn."

"Above all the most important thing is to be respectful to the speaker," the College junior said.

There are still significant concerns among the University community centered around Annan's image following the investigation.

"Certainly the report tarnished Kofi Annan's image," Political Science Department Chairman Rogers Smith said.

Smith said while he was exonerated of wrongdoing, Annan "does not come away fully vindicated" by the findings of the panel and that it will be a challenge for him to lead the United Nations in the face of continuing opposition.

He also said that those who have been critical of Annan may continue to call for his resignation, but "few prominent world leaders ... have unblemished histories."

Still, the College Republicans and others are not satisfied.

College junior David Issever, who is not affiliated with the College Republicans, said he would be signing the petition as soon as he could.

Issever said he is unhappy with the United Nations' recent performance as an organization, which he believes has elicited little respect from the rest of the world.

He also noted that, speaking from a pro-Israel standpoint, he feels that Annan has not been "kind or understanding to Israel's position."

Rechtschaffen said that the College Republicans plan to set up a table on Locust Walk where interested students can sign the petition and will provide its own version of satirical street theater by offering to exchange cans of vegetable oil for sandwiches.

The U.N. committee will continue its investigation, but further reports will not be issued until after Annan addresses Penn graduates and their families on May 16. The committee will issue its final conclusions on the oil-for-food program in June.