[Ian Zuckerman/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Smoke cloaks the 40th Street corridor just outside the Freshgrocer garage on Saturday night. A Penn Police officer covers his face while patrolling the area.

The Daily Pennsylvanian

A car fire broke out on the first floor of the parking garage above the Freshgrocer Saturday evening, which resulted in startled shoppers and a thick cloud of smoke covering the nearby intersection. There were no injuries.

The alarm sounded at approximately 9:45 p.m., according to witness and Philadelphia resident Sunshine Morgan. However, evacuation orders by Freshgrocer personnel were not immediately obeyed.

"People just kept on shopping [when they heard the alarm] until they started smelling smoke," Morgan said.

Penn Security directed passersby across the street from the four-year-old Freshgrocer located at 40th and Walnut streets.

The cause of the fire is not yet known and Philadelphia Fire Department officials could not be reached for comment.

Freshgrocer manager Walter Bailey said the "pretty old station wagon" burned for approximately 20 minutes.

"There was no problem inside [and] there was no problem outside" of the building, Bailey said.

The owner of the car, who was referred to as "Amber" by two adults identified as her parents, would not respond to questions. Her affiliation with the University, if any, is unknown.

The PFD responded rapidly to put out the fire and shoppers were allowed to return to the building about half an hour after the alarm first sounded. The amount of damage was unknown, but appeared limited in scope.

"We came out here and [the firemen] were already here," said Philadelphia resident Marc Morgan, who was inside the building at the time of the fire.

"I thought it was a theft alarm initially," West Philadelphia resident Nigel Ralston said. "Every time I go to the Freshgrocer, I vow it will be my last time. Maybe this time it will be."