[Courtesy Princeton Athletics] Princeton coach Joe Scott has returned to his alma mater after spending the past four seasons as the head coach of the Air Force Academy.

Both came to the Ivy League from Colorado.

Both take the reins of an Ivy League program for the first time.

But for new Princeton coach Joe Scott and new Dartmouth coach Terry Dunn, there is very little similarity beyond that.

Scott, who graduated from Princeton in 1987 and served as a Tigers assistant from 1992-2000, is coming home after a four-year stint at Air Force.

Dunn, on the other hand, is a product of the Rocky Mountain State, having attended Northern Colorado and holding assistant coaching jobs at Air Force, Colorado State and most recently, Colorado.

But the more significant difference is in the current state of the programs that they will lead this season.

Scott comes home to a team at the top, after former Princeton coach John Thompson III led the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament before departing to take over Georgetown's program.

Don't count on too many changes in the vaunted Princeton offense, especially after Scott effectively used the system to lead Air Force to the field of 65 last season.

"Joe has been very successful at Air Force using the Princeton way," said Penn coach Fran Dunphy, who will get his first shot at the Tigers Feb. 8 at the Palestra.

Princeton went 13-1 in the Ivy League last season. Dartmouth, on the other hand, went 1-13.

Despite the obvious challenges that Dunn faces at Dartmouth, he is grateful for the opportunity.

"Perseverance has paid off and patience has paid off," Dunn said. "It's been something that's been long coming. It's a dream come true."

In addition to the task of improving the current crop of talent, Dunn is in a challenging position trying to get basketball players to commit to come to Hanover, N.H.

"A young man has to be willing to take a risk in coming to a program that's right now in the basement of the Ivy League," Dunn said.

"There's an opportunity within that challenge and that's the opportunity to play right away."

Both coaches seem to be handling the transition to their new schools well.

Scott has already gone bowling with his Princeton team and the Tigers have held an intrasquad softball game.

According to Princeton center Judson Wallace, "It's enough to make up for any time we've lost with him."

In terms of on-court decision making, Dunn recognizes the need for change in the Big Green program.

"Obviously, we're going to be a little different team than we were last year," Dunn said. "We hope to pick up the tempo a little bit."

And if he knows his players, they should be ready to make the necessary adjustments.

"I think attitudes coming in were great and they still are," Dunn said. "The work ethic is there."

At Princeton, changes to the style of play are not needed, but that does not mean that the program will be exactly the same.

"We've still got the same players, still got the same offense," Wallace said. "But I would say coach Scott's a little more intense than coach Thompson as far as his coaching style."

The two new coaches, who knew each other from their Colorado days, will meet twice as coaches of opposing teams this year: Feb. 4 in Hanover, N.H., and March 5 at Jadwin Gym.